70-200 2.8l IS for a student?

sam_w3

Hi,

i'm off to japan next week (live in the uk) and i'm doing a college course in photography at the moment, soon to

move on to a foundation degree and a full b.a. eventually. I'm currently using a 40d with a sigma 10-20 4-5.6 for

wide stuff and an efs 17-85 4-5.6 as a walkaround. now i figure if i scrimp a bit, i can just about afford a used

70-200 2.8 is from map camera in tokyo. the store comes highluy recommended and they have a selection of 2.8l

is's for about 170,000 to 180,000 yen. as a student, i'm going to be doing a wide range of photography, however,

for the layout of cash will it be worth the purchase?

Hmm... around $1700 / 1000e / ᆪ800 for used 70-200/2.8 IS, not bad if British prices for the lens are as funny as Finnish ones. (In the US new one is $1570 with rebate, ergh.)

70-200/2.8 IS is one of those lenses that you never have to replace as there isn't anything better in that range, it's weather sealed and it also works well with full frame. If you can justify the cost (and weight...) then why not. Do you absolutely need it? No, I don't think so. Will you enjoy it and find it very versatile? Yes.

Only you can answer "is it worth it?" I have no idea how valuable your money is to you and what you could do with it instead of buying a 70-200 2.8 LIS. I also have no idea what enjoyment you will get out of it or if the extra money, to you, of IS is worth it. The true cost of any item to an individual depends on the disposable funds they have. If you earn a lot of cash then the cost of a 70-200LIS is nothing, if you wash dishes to buy food then it is an enormous expense.

Arie makes a good point. I don't think you need a degree in photography to be a good photographer and to learn how to maniplulated images. If you are that serious you will pick it up from your own investigation and practices as you gain more experience. On the other hand learning how to manage a business requires a lot more skill, knowledge and experience.

If I were going to be a serious, professional photographer then at some time I would have the 70-200 2.8 LIS. You have to answer if now is that time.

Ben Quinn wrote:

"As a student I'm guessing you have no kids, no wife and no mortgage so you can buy what you want, if you have the money or can finance it - if you can't then don't buy it. Life is simple for you enjoy it."

Amen to that Ben!

Sam, when you're a student you have more time, so get the lens now and enjoy it. You may have money to affort a lot of expensive photography gears when you start working, but you may not have the time to enjoy them.

In fact you should save some money for when you have done your photography degree and you realize you have to go

back and do another proper degree in order to get a job. Then, after about 5 to 10 years of work experience you may have

the money to buy the lens. However by then you will probably have a wife and 2 kids and won't be able to afford it. Then

your looking at when the kids finish college to get the lens.

Am I a student? Check<br>

Did I buy a 70-200 2.8 IS? Check<br>

Do I have specific uses for it? Check<br>

Is it heavy and unwieldy? Check<br>

Did I have an alternative? Not really..<br>

<p>For you, I doubt you can eliminate down to one specific lens. As such, I must say no, it's not the right lens for you. At least not until you figure out exactly why you need it.</p>

That's a totally funny story, Arie.

A great lens, worth if for me. And later you will use it when you shoot your kids playing soccer (grin). Mine (non IS)has lasted 10 years and is going strong. The main longterm risk is a phase shift in technology, which might make our older format lenses obsolete. That said, with your 1.6 format sensor the 70-200 is pretty long. I suggest don't compromise, get the best, 2.8 IS, or wait until you can afford it. 2.8 offers better bokeh, which will be compromised by your smaller sensor.

Dave<div>00QDpA-58385584.jpg.a6d8cea0dff7f677ea8895ffb5a5d3cc.jpg</div>