Question about prints from 18-55 non-IS lens.

robert_thommes1

I know this is probably the least expensive W/A zoom lens on the market, and I know it's alleged to not be all that

hot. But, is it capable of good quality 8X10 prints(my maximum sized prints)? How about at 18mm and 55mm

zoom lengths? I'm not opposed to some minor post processing to get it up to a "decent" quality. I just can't see

spending any more for a lens that I will likely use maybe 5% of the time. Thanks

I also believe that with the kit lens, you are going to have better IQ success for prints at the longer end of the zoom than at 18mm. That would be a quick suggestion that I would add based on some reviews I read at some point on this lens.

The answer is maybe. How good is your technique and the files you are producing. My brother routinely makes excellent 8 by 12 prints with his 300D Rebel and the 18-55mm kit lens from jpegs right out of the camera without post processing. He is a good, experienced photographer with excellent technique who understands exposure, light and color and how to use it, how to use exposure compensation. Good photographers can make great pictures with decent equipment. Poor photographers can make mediocre pictures with great equipment. Good pictures happen 3-4 inches behind the lens. Just keep shooting pictures.