D40x or D60 with no lens investment?

tim_brown26

I'm in the market to move up to digital with a limiting budget of about $700.

I'm just wondering from anyone whose had experience with these; what would be a better deal, a D60 kit with the

VR lens for about $620, or a Nikon-refurb'd D40x body and a nifty fifty from Adorama for around $510? Is the

sensor-cleaning on the D60 a major selling point? I could care less about in-camera editing.

A 50/1.8 will NOT autofocus on either of those bodies. The D40/60 will only AF with Nikon's AF-S lenses, or their third party counterparts (like Sigma's HSM lenses). Do you already have other lenses? You might consider an in-good-shape, lightly used D80 - which will leave you with MANY more lens choices, at many more price points.

I would go with the D60 as it has EXPEED image processor, Active D-Lighting, more user friendly range finder for

manual focusing (great with the 50mm f/1.8) which you will find advantageous over the D40x. I have the D60 and I

love it mainly because of these three features.

Ah, so ... indeed, a blank slate. If you're coming to this from more traditional equipment, you may indeed be a lot happier with a used D80 or (better yet) a used D200. You can then choose from an embarassment of riches when it comes to excellent used lens at all sorts of focal lengths - at very, very good prices.

Either is a good camera, but get an auto focus lens with the motor in the lens, ie AFS You will cut yourself off from a camera that will meter with all the available manual focus lenses,and you will pay the price 10 times over having to buy only the newer lenses.

I have a D200 and just got a D40 with 18/135 as back up. Any Nikkor lens will mount on a 40/60 and take pics without a meter. That does not bother me as I have been doing this a long time. I do not recommend it for a beginner.

Manual focus was ok decades back for cameras made for it, these are not and most find it difficult. Focus screens were made differently then. These are made for small aperture zooms and to be bright. Different desgn criteria. Theyare not made for manual focus.

Auto sensor cleaning is only somewhat valuable. Use a blower after each outing or 12 lens changes on the front of the mirror chamber. Get dust out before it migrates to the sensor when it causes problems.

Do not open the shutter unless there is already a problem. Change lenses mount side down as quickly as possible. I have no problens with dust.

Conclusion, Either with an AFS autofocus lens, not the 50 1.8. Or spend a bit more for a

d80 and save money on future lenses.

A used D80 would probably be within your budget but if you are somewhat inexperienced in photography, the D60 and the kit lens might serve you better. Yeah, it won't AF with non-AFS lenses but unless this turns into a passion, that won't be much of an issue.

That said, be forewarned that quite a few start out with the D40/60 and sure 'nuff, the passion hits. That's when this can become an expensive hobby.

"a D60 kit with the VR lens for about $620"

Where did you get that price?

Becareful to check www.resellerratings.com first to avoid scamming.

$700= brand new D40 ( or used D40x) + 18-55+ 55-200 VR

However, if you have more budget, I would recommend D80.

Later add a Nikon flash SB-600. Then you have a pretty decent entry DSLR kit.

Just a few more thoughts...

Don't buy the D60 over the D40 just for the extra megapixels since the D40 has faster flash sync (good for daylight flash use with the built-in flash) and a better noise performance as well as costing much less. You need to consider the advantages and disadvantages of each.

VR on the 55-200 is worth much more than VR on the 18-55 since camera shake is so much worse on long lenses.

"It has the EXPEED processor" doesn't actually mean anything much at all without a clear statement of the benefits. I've never seen a clear statement of what those benefits are on a D60.

Why not just get the D40, (not D40x), the non-VR kit lens, and an SB-400 flash? If you keep your prints in the 13x19 or under range, you'll be thrilled.

You could then have some cash left over for extra memory, a case, Giotto rocket blower...

Forget about Megapixels. It's more about sensor size. A 6MP DSLR will blow the doors off a hyped 12MP pocket camera.

I have a d40 (amongst others) and know people with D40x models but I've not tried the D60.

It seems to me that the improvement of the D40x over the D40 is marginal, if there is an improvement at all. My reckoning would be that it's not worth the extra money. Looking at the spec sheet, the extra features of the D60 over the D40 also seem rather small - yet the price gap between 40 and 60 is rather large.

So, if your budget is very limited (and you don't mind manually focusing any prime lenses you might buy later), the D40 is probably better value for money than its slightly bigger brothers. The D80 is probably the next meaningful step up - its improvements are much more concrete (better viewfinder, top lcd, focus motor, and I seem to remember something about flash control too) although high ISO performance is weaker.

If you say "move up to digital", do you have any existing Nikon gear?

I own a D40 and a D60. I'd say both cameras handle noise pretty much the same...which is "good" up to 800, and "OK, but not great" above that. The D60 has better dynamic range, and blooms a lot less than the D40...in fact the D60 seems to outperform the D200 I used to own in this regard.

<p>

Either of these are really fine cameras for what you pay. The image files are surprisingly good. Not auto-focusing with Nikon's D lenses is a bummer, but hopefully Nikon will give us some new lenses soon.

<p>

You really can't go wrong with the D60 kit. It's not much more money than a high-end point & shoot.

I'd love to save money on the body to spend on lenses. I would buy used only if I could handle it myself before buying, I have no problem buying refurb'd however.

Adorama does have a Nikon refurb'd D40X body for $399; that seems outrageously low though.

Tim I was in your situation just last week. I've been planning to buy another Nikon body for about 2 months now and

have considered everything from a D40/D60/D80 to a used D50/D70. If you aren't against buying used then you

could find a D80 for around $600 give or take. I found on Amazon there is a place that sells refurbed D80's for $640.

That'd leave you enough to get your 50mm used as well. The D50/D70 option could be another way to go and they

can be found dirt cheap now. I've seen both go for about $300-$400 max used. I hear great things about the D40,

but the main reason I didn't get it was it didn't have a status window on the top of the camera, and the need for AF-S

lenses. If you're lucky you could try that well known classified site and maybe score a deal on some used

equipment. I just got lucky (at least I think so) and found a D200 with a low shutter count, and a 50mm 1.8 for

$775. Either way good luck with the purchase.