A Rant from the Clergy... Photos During Ceremony

bill_keane2

On this other issue:

Geoff wrote: I know of one couple who were disappointed with their wedding photos because "all the backgrounds were out of focus".

When I read this, it stuck me as a possible answer for this, part of which, by the way it was worded, had been puzzling me:

``I've read that pictures taken by SLRs are not supposed to be as sharp as those taken by point and shoots``

http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00QC7m

In the above thread, Master Faster did point to DoF in his answer, but I remained a still puzzled by the original statement: I think Geoff hit a very interesting point.

WW

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a good laugh about one poster said "have you ever seen halftime at a football game? I can very well remember, 35,000ft, 2:00AM in a packed charter stretched DC-8, going home after spending 8 years in the service, this is in 1972, mind you. I couldn't sleep, so was gazing out into the darkness looking for some sanity to all the madness, when this kid in the seat in front of me fires off a flash from his p&s out into the darkness! See! They did it back in the days of film too!

I was asked to do a wedding the 30th of August (I am not a pro) my plan was to meet with the b&g way ahead of time, as well as the pastor/minister to get parameters as to what I could do, what they wanted, etc. My role was to capture the emotions of the event in a way so that 20-30 years later the couple could look at the photos and feel the same emotions they had back then. As it turns out, I can't do it because of surgery on the 20th.

As for the guests, most will do what's asked of them, but some will probably be descendants of that kid back in '72 and common sense still will evade them.

My first wedding (unfortunately it was one where I was hired by a friend) was a disaster, including a stuck motor

drive release in the middle of the ceremony (the vows), and that had followed a roll of film that jammed in the

camera while taking pictures of the bride getting ready-- all embarrassing and lost opportunities.

My next weddings went more smoothly, but I've always tried to avoid doing much flash during the ceremony,

preferring natural lighting if the location allows, and staying a discrete distance away from the parties during

the ceremony. Simply said, those that place the taking of their own pictures well before the sanctity of the

marriage process are rude, and need to be corrected quickly (a small cadre of strategically placed ushers is

useful to prevent a continuing problem, and it would be wise to also place some sort of written notice at the

entrance to the ceremony). The hired help need to understand the ceremony's limits before hand, but follow

general rules of courtesy anyways, all while hoping that a disaster doesn't strike.

I simply meet with the clergy prior to the ceremony. If he allows flash, great. If he doesnt, then I dont. I find out way in advance so I can let the bride and groom know what I can and cant do. I hold the church, all denominations, in high respect and would not think for a moment to overstep the boundaries layed out for me. With that being said, I would also like to make a request, to all officiants, from myself, and perhaps all photographers. When making the announcement of "You may now kiss the bride" please do so from the side, or duck, or dive to the left. Whatever you have to do to make sure your head isnt in one of the most important shots of the day. Thank you :)

Corri Michelle

I always speak with the clergy or representative of the Church concerning their policy and stick to that. I was taught by a very traditional/formal photographer and I can't imagine ever letting a flash fire during the ceremony (unless specifically allowed by the minister and okayed by the couple ahead of time). I have been more and more frustrated lately with attendees who spend the whole ceremony snapping photos with their little point and shoot cameras. I don't know why it irritates me so much... There is just something about seeing someone so oblivious to what is proper shooting away while I'm working hard to create nice images with whatever lighting I have to work with.

I shouldn't let it get to me, my ambient light shots with long exposures on a tripod always look so much better than anything shot with a flash. Still, I wish that wedding guests would be more considerate while sitting in the pews (and don't stick a camera/head out during the processional and ruin my shot).

Final note, my wife and I put a little line at the bottom of our wedding programs asking that guests refrain from flash photography. A few people came to us afterward, apologized for not seeing the note and gave us copies of the photos they had taken from the pews... Oh well, with all of the joy of that day it just didn't matter to us that much.

The best compliments I can get after showing the B&G their photos are "When did you take this?" "I didn't even see you there!" "We didn't even know you were around until the posed shots."

I was a newspaper photographer for years and have been shooting weddings for over 30 years. If you don't know how to get good shots without flash, you shouldn't call yourself a professional.

When I was in photography school (a plug for Hallmark Institute in MA) one of our guest speakers talked about telling the guests "no shots while I am posing. Your flash will louse up both of our pictures." Then he broke up the posed group by stepping into the pose after taking his photos and telling them thanks. It kept the guests from getting pictures like his. I don't agree with that, but I have asked the guests to wait during posed shots, and then I step to the side and joke about the paparazzi and let them go at it.

I have the reputation of a friendly and very good wedding photographer who even the guests like.