17-50 f2,8 Tamron vs. Sigma HSM how is the fokus

thomas_fiege

I need a faster zoom for the wedding of my brother. The Nikon 18-55 f2.8 is out of price range, so the two possible

anwers are Sigma or Tamron.

I do have the D80 so I can fokus with both lenses. How is the noise of the screw in relation to the Sigma HSM?

Is the focusing speed of the Sigma better then the Tamron?

Is the Tamron worth the extra 1mm on the wide end?

I think that picture quality might be equal more CA with the Tamron but a little bit better in corner sharpness.

I also have the 50/1.8 and the 24/2.4 so that will do for low light but the possibility of zooming will give me more

freedom.

Thanks for your help

Thomas

hi thomas,

the 17-50 focuses pretty fast on a D80/D300. IQ is great, very useable at 2.8

when i got the tamron the HSM sigma wasnt out yet, but i can say i've not noticed any real difference in focus speed compared to my sigma 30 and 50-150, both of which have HSM. those might be a little bit quicker but the tamron doesn't really lag even with screwdriver AF (probably due to the short throw) and isnt excessively loud (to me).

I have the Sigma. Image quality is excellent, and the macro abilities are quite respectable. It focuses quickly and reliably on

my D200's, but I have seen it hunt once or twice in really dim conditions or against really low contrast subjects. Interestingly,

the focus ring turns while the HSM runs. You cannot override the AF anytime you want, like on the Sigma 50-150. Rather,

the 18-50 has an AF/MF switch, or you can use the switch on the camera body to AF/MF.

BTW, with my upcoming change to the D700, my 18-50 Sigma will be sold at a very favorable price.

I have the Tamron and the focus is quick but has a little quirk you should know about. The Tamron will focus at full speed until the image is almost sharp, then it fine tunes the focus with three or four very quick pulses. I haven't shot the Sigma to see if it does the same. The Nikon AF-S lenses don't behave this way. Optically the Tamron is superb and is very well built.

Ifs his is a one time event that you are shooting? If so and you can use a flash, you possibly don't need another lens. What lens do you have now? If you need to use available light, your 50mm will be your best choice.

If this is the first time you are doing a wedding and you are the only photographer, I suggest you read up on wedding photography in the wedding forum..

I'm allowed too use flash and have the SB600. My main lens is the 18-135mm. I will be the only Photograf in the

church as my Brother dont want to have to many people running arround.

I can not bounce the flash from the ceiling as it is a wood ceiling. So with frontal flash it might be to harsh.

Thomas, I shoot the D50 and have had the Tamron 17-50 for a week and have shot a lot of pictures with it. Right away I tested it against my 50/1.8 and was somewhat disappointed until I started to look closer at the pictures. It is not on the level of the 50/1.8, but by what I have read it is as close as you will get with any of the zooms in this range. I have quickly become accustom to framing with the zoom and I like it alot. As suggested to me on this form set it on f4 and the pictures are sharp with great color, at 2.8 it is not bad if you need the speed. I have had some problems with the A/F not locking on.

In my opinion, for a one time event, your lens will be fine because you are using the SB-600 flash. The 18-135mm lens gives very sharp images - I doubt that your pictures will look any different with any other lens.

If money is not a big issue for you, Carl's suggestion to rent a Nikon 17-55mm lens for the event is a good one.

Regardless of which lens you use, I suggest you get a diffuser dome for your SB-600.

elliot's probably right here, as using a flash lessens the need for a constant 2.8. OTOH, a fast zoom has the ability to render out-of-focus backgrounds, which can give your pics that "pro" look. so you may want to consider the tamron or sigma--whichever you choose--as an investment toward your photographic future. i can say that my kit lens (the 18-70) has been gathering dust since i got the tamron 28-75, and even more so since i supplemented that with the 17-50. the idifference in IQ was stark, although the 18-70's ok if you shoot at f/9 or thereabouts. i would think it'd be about the same with the 18-135, except of course you have more zoom range to play around with.