Trading (selling) Leica for DSLR?

I've not used my Leica M3 double-stroke in two or three years and I'll soon

bring it in for a checkup. I've only got the normal (i.e., not dual-range)

50mm Summicron f/2. The camera is probably from the early 50s, Summicron is

a later, more modern black-bodied lens. I'm guessing the 80s or so.

I've gotten a bit more interested in photography lately, what with a couple

of Europe trips and a fairly new grandson whose antics I've tied to capture

with a Canon S-40 ditigal compact, but the shutter lag is driving me crazy.

I'm too lazy to go back to film (I enjoy printing digital photos at home),

but I'd like to go to a modestly-priced digital SLR (the Nikon D40, D40X or

even the D60) seem about right for me) that can be, to the extent I wish it,

a point and shoot with potential for 8 x 10s or even 11 x 14s.

I checked out EBay sample M3/Summicron prices and they seem pretty

unbelievable. These prices must be for mint condition collectorメs cameras. My M3 appears to be in good, reliable

working condition and I suspect it will check out so when I have it examined.

Could there really be enough value in the Leica to trade myself into one of

those Nikons?

That might be a little optomistic (for the lens anyway) but it should be worth more than enough to trade for a decent DSLR and a kit lens. Check ebay for price points and KEH for their online pricing tool. Of course KEH is going to want to buy it for low enough for them to make a nice profit, but check to see what they're selling equivalent equipment for.

You'll probably get the most selling on ebay, but it's going to be a learning curve, a lot of work, and (for me anyway) some worrying about international buyers, and paypal unconfirmed addresses, etc. I recently sold a bunch of stuff on ebay and so far it's working out, but there is risk involved. Selling to KEH would net you a lot less money, but there would be no real risk except losing it in the mail (and you can buy insurance).

The D40/60 series ate decent cameras. You need to lenses with autofocus motors built in the lenses which are the

modern higher priced lenses. Older screwdrive autofocus primes will meter, NOT autoficus.

Even older primes of any vintage will mount and take pic with no metering functions at all. Pretend it an M3.

If you wish to use older prime faster lenses, then get a D80 and use auto focus primes or a D200/300 and any AI or

AIS prime in A or M mode or any autofocus prine.

Keep the Leica. Shoot print film and have it scanned at Costco or some place like that. Cheap way to get digital.

Buy yourself a Canon XSi with the very good 18-55mm IS kit lens ($850 USD) and see if you like digital. It isn't for

everyone for a lot of reasons. You'll probably go through a lot of the new-to-digital whines while you learn. Good

luck!

There is enough value in your Leica to get a DSLR with kit lens, or possibly a fast zoom. To photograph a grandson you

will at least need autofocus, and autoexposure is a big help too. Make sure your lenses have full auto capabilities and you

will have your best chances to capture your grandson's antics.

Hi Jim, I have just recently gone the other way. I sold my Canon 1D Mark II N and bought an M6 and three lenses. I can't part with film and wanted something smaller but the best of the class instead of my EOS-3 which I also sold by now. I am addicted to Leica now and it also changed the way I am using my only remaining dSLR, a 5D.

If you had other lenses than the 50mm 'cron, I'd be very interested.

Miklos

You can get a Pentax K200D with the new kit lens (27mm-82mm 35mm equivalent) for $ 650 before a $100

rebate. It is worth checking out. If you like the camera the DA limited lenses are very good. It is also easy to use older Pentax manual focus lenses with this camera.

QUOTE ON

Michael A. Shapiro , Jul 15, 2008; 04:19 p.m.

Buy a D70 or D40 and a 35mm f2 lens. Those two cameras do not require the newer zooms. The sensor density on those two cameras is optimal for low noise

QUOTE OFF

Actually, the D40 won't focus the 35 f2. The D50 will.

Whatever you do, I would recommend an established dealer with a top reputation who you can trust. You don't have to buy and sell from

the same place, either. The other option -- shooting film and having images scanned onto CD -- is worth considering.

Just to echo what others have said, if there's any way you can swing the dslr without selling the Leica, do it. Digital is nice,

but it will depreciate quickly and won't last more than a few years without being sadly obsolete.

You could look at the M3 in two ways, one, it's already obsolete, or two, it will never be obsolete. Either way, it will last you

for the rest of your life and will probably be more expensive to replace in a few years.

I've regretted selling every single piece of Leica gear I've sold. I've never regretted selling any other camera gear. Except

for my Nikon 28/1.4D, but that's a subject for another forum...

Wow, is the Summicron really bringing that much? I guess you could trade for an M8 and still not lose your "card" in the forum, do not know if the Dual Range works on the M8.

You certainly should be able to work a trade, at a reputable camera shop, which is getting hard to find.

I recently sold a CLA'd nice M3, and was told I was lucky to get $500. (Not to worry, it was a spare), have you thought of listing it in Photo.net? I have not strolled over to that part for awhile, it always seems to cost me money. ;-)

You probably know he serial number range has something to do with the price. Some of the very early ones bring a premium. I was told my camera went to Japan. The government worries about dollars going out of the country, the real problem may be Leicas. ;-)

<b>Ronald </b>are you really sure about this?<br>

<i>"The D40/60 series ate decent cameras..."</i><p>

.... and if so, was there any reference to their taste, texture, fragrance, and nutritional value? :0)<p>

<b>Jim</b><p>

I've moved to the wonderful world of the DSLR, and I'm not about to sell my M3, M6, R6.2, and R7. <br>

Especially since I'd be losing a serious portion of my original investment.<p>

Cheers!<br>

Digital is nice, but it will depreciate quickly and won't last more than a few years without being sadly obsolete.

Not really. As long as a camera works it is not obsolete.

So keep the M3 and get the K200D (rebate ends 7/26) to take to Europe..take the M3 too. If you decide to sell the DSLR later you will lose very little. I think you will keep it. BTW, the build quality and view finder is far better than any CanNikon equivalent. The K200 body is also weather sealed and uses AA batteries. A set of Lithium AA's will give you about 1000 frames.

I did it, an M6, a Summicron, and a little $ for a Nikon D300. It only hurt for a little while and can still visit my old camera in the

showcase of the store I traded it to. Common used Leicas are not exactly hot items anymore so I thought I got fair value. I hadn't used it for several years and never quite melded with it having been spoiled by zoom lenses and auto focus.

<i>"The equipment's value has already been lost, you just haven't converted it to cash yet."</i><p>

Sadly and very true Douglas... tho once upon a time one wouldn't lose as much off of the $$ value <br>

of their original equipment as one does these days ... whether for sale or trade.<br>

Of course I'm referring to equipment [used or new] kept in very good to excellent condition.<p>

<p>

Then there's the pain and angst of not having the camera or lens any more.<br>

Which I believe this is more true for Leica owners. I know it was for me.<p>