Decisions on Low Light indoor Photography

mark_in_st._louis

My current collection of playtoys includes a D200 and the Nikon 70-200 VR, along with the 50 F1.4 lenses. I'm

attempting to take pictures of horse shows indoor and still have some motion blur at ISO 1250, F2.8 with the 70-

200. I have been thinking about picking up the 85 F1.4 but wonder if I should be putting my money into a D300

instead. A D3 would be nice, but this is a hobby for me and that will be on the list for lottery winning expenditures.

Budget $2k.

What are your thoughts?

If increasing your ISO to 1600 (or slightly higher) will get your shutter speed high enough to eliminate the

motion blur, do so, shoot RAW and try DXO software (version 5.2 ONLY). I also suggest a monopod which alone could

have a dramatic effect on your photos, especially if you are good at panning.

I did some high ISO testing with my cameras over the weekend (which includes the D200) and the results are most

impressive with the D200. ISO 1600 looked great when processed (about as good or as good as ISO 400). ISO 3200

images looked pretty good as well, and while the equivalent D300 images obviously look a bit better, you probably

would not notice much of a difference between DXO processed prints from the 2 cameras if you are making prints

(without cropping) at 8" x 10" or smaller.

If the money is burning a whole in your pocket or the above options don't interest you or won't work, I think the

85mm f1.8 would be a great affordable option.

A D700 would go a long way in improving high ISO performance. An 85/1.4 is a good choice too, they would both compliment each other (if the reach is enough). The D300 is supposed to be maybe a stop better than the D200, I can't say since I never owned a D200. These days, a lens tends to last much longer than a camera, but getting larger or higher ISOs both have their advantages and drawbacks.

If you can stratch your budget to $3000, the "D3 Junior," i.e. D700 should be your answer.

You can gain about 1 stop of high ISO results by moving from the D200 to the D300, and you can gain another 1.5 stops or so moving to the D3 or D700. I haven't tested the D700 yet, but as far as I can tell, it should give identical results as the D3 in many aspects. What you lose are the security of dual CF cards, 100% viewfinder, etc.

These are the D200 comparison shots I took. I included a D300 ISO 1600 (no processing) crop for comparison.

http://www.photo.net/photo/7559966&size=lg

You can easily stay within your budget and improve your picture quality from you current gear if you want to. You can afford a D300 (well under $2000) or streeeeeetch your budget and get the D700 as Shun suggests (best choice but also the most expensive).

You didnt mention what part of the focal range you were using with your 70-200. If 85mm will get you close enough, then the 85 f/1.8 will get you 1.3 stops, the 85 f/1.4 will get you 2 full stops all else being equal. Do you think that plus bumping the ISO to 1600 will cure the blurs? Either way, the 85 f/1.4 @ $1000 is well on the way to a new D300. And while the D700 sounds like a great body, is the loss of the 1.5x crop factor going to hurt you in terms of what you will lose on the long end? Sounds like the cost alone may be a non-starter in which case something like the 85 f/1.8, 1600 ISO and better post-processing may be the most [cost]effective solution.

Thanks to each of you. I have not used ISO 3200 and am looking forward to playing. Elliot, I appreciate the time you put into your response I have looked at the different examples you have provided in great detail. I believe that if I choose to ago with the 85mm I will get the F1.4 to avoid the issue of ever wanting to replace it in the future.