Photography equipment advice needed for an aspiring wedding photographer

tony_sikorski

Hello,

I have been more of a lurker than an active member of this forum, so here I come with few questions.

I want to do wedding photography part time while in college. I figured that I might do something that is my

passion, taking pictures, and make a small living from it as well.

Since I have never done any wedding photography I have few questions as to which lenses to get for the wedding

photography.

Currently I have Nikon D70s, 18-70mm and 70-300mm Nikkors. In the future I will most probably need something

wider and faster than these two lenses, well and a flash unit as well.

I am thinking of getting Tokina 11-16mm for the ultra wide group people photos. However I am also wondering how

practical would it be if I would get Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye. I know that Fisheye Hemi(photoshop plugin) can flatten

out fish eye images to make tham nice and wide. But I fear that might become impractical, and that the Tokina

would be better suited.

I was also thinking of acquiring something like Nikon 135mm DC for the portraiture wedding photos. I have never

used any Nikon DC lenses so I don't know if that's practical as well. I need a fast portrait lens with good

bokhen, but I don't know which one? Any suggestions?

Lastly I was thinking of getting Sb-400 for a flash unit. Main appealing aspects are its size, good automatic

exposure and its reliability.

My budget is about 2K the most.

Any suggestions, advice or tips?

I would greatly appreciate anything that might help me. Thank you so much in advance.

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. 50mm f1.8. 85mm f1.8 Skip SB-400 and go directly to at least SB-600 or SB-800. Lots of memory cards and extra camera and flash batteries. A BACK-UP body and lens. The Tokina is not such a useful range. The fisheye is a novelty which is nice to have but no where near as useful as a fast zoom in the most used focal length ranges. A 135mm on a crop sensor camera is too long for portraiture.

My first tip is to rethink your initial idea. Wedding photography is hard work and comes with the responsibility of photographing a once in a life time event. If your primary goal is to "make a small living" from something you find fun, I would maybe find something else to make a small living with. If you do wedding photography on any kind of basis other than occasionally for friends, you will find it hard to make that small living. Keeping up with gear, insurance, and the day to day expenses involved in running a serious business are fairly formidable and eat into any profits you might be thinking you will earn. I'd maybe find a studio or other photographer to photograph for, and get some training to boot.

My second tip is to research, read, study and make yourself learn. This forum is a good place to begin.

At the risk of being a parrot . . . I agree with all the first paragraph written by Nadine.

I add: get either a fast 24mm, 28mm 30mm or 35mm lens as well as the fast 50mm (it doesn`t need to be super expensive, but it does need to be at least F2 or F1.8). The point is on an APS-C body a 50mm lens is a bit long in tight spots: if you can only afford one fast prime, get one wider than the 50mm.

Fisheye then defishing is a waste of time and money. As a stand alone lens, a fisheye is a waste of money as an initial investment.

Re the Tokina: It is very dangerous to shoot large groups with a lens wider than about 18mm (on APS-C) without adequate care and experience apropos barrel distortions.

You need, at least a second Camera and Flash, should you have the sole responsibility of a Wedding.

BUT I also echo Nadine`s second paragraph, and urge you to consider the points carefully.

I also have done `College` . . . (35 years ago). The WORST way of making money with a camera whilst studying, is to be going out on your own, doing Weddings.

Do the College sports; the Newspaper, Formals, Portraiture, Little League (kids team sports) or get a gig as an Assistant Wedding Photographer.

Even if it is for very little money, you will find it will most likely be MORE actual $ in the hand than doing a Wedding yourself, AND you will learn far more, and enjoy it better, IMO.

WW

Hubert,

I generally hire photographers to shoot as assistance and often hire photographers as contractors. To tell you

the truth, I would not hire or allow a photographer to shoot with me or for me with the equipment that you have

or the equipment you are planning to purchase. Hear me out.

First of all, when you are capturing the special moments of a bride and groom's wedding, they expect the photos

to be superb. Remember, they made the choice to hire a professional and not their friend. They expect high

resolution files. They expect an album that captures the moment. Many ceremonies are held in low lit

establishments. Most events are tricky and unpredictable. You will need to be experienced and able to

anticipate the entire day. You have to know what you are doing.

Now, let rewind back to your question. As a Nikon user, I would suggest you sell your D70s and both of your

lens. Neither of these lens will work in a low lit Church. I photographed a wedding yesterday in a well lit

church and my meter read ISO: 1600, Aper: f/2.8, Shut: 1/60. I was able to use a flash, so these reading were

great. However, if I was not able to use a flash, I would have to use my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 70-200mm

f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, and my Nikon 85mm f/1.8. I still used many of these lenses, however, if I did not have

them, I would have produced substandard results for my clients.

My suggestion is to sell what you have and combine the what you earn with your $2000.00. Purchase, at a minimum,

a Nikon D200 and a D80. Purchase a SB800 flash, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens, Nikon 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8mm.

My advice is to seek out an experienced wedding photographer and offer your services. If you get paid, then

build on your gear and experience. Keep reading here and learn allot. You are getting some great advice and

suggestion. Just remember, wedding photography is not a hobby. It is a serious occupation that requires a

precise degree of skill. Just remember, a wedding is not an event you want to practice your skills on. A

wedding is an event you want to get it right the first time because there is no make up test.

George

My advise is going to be similar to George's; sell what you have now and buy a D300 and two f2.8 zooms to cover at least 18-200mm, they don't necessarily have to be Nikon but they do have to be of good optical quality--an example would be Sigma's 18-50 and 70-200, but Nikon's VR lenses would of course be preferred if you can afford it. And you'll need a flash.

I think, if you do pursue the Wedding route, on a minimum budget, extreme prioritization needs to be applied to the purchase of the equipment.

For example, one D300 and the zoom range from 70 to 200 at F2.8, will be of little use if the camera body fails.

In this regard, a second body has an higher priority than the 70 to 200 zoom range.

Also, if you are not allowed to use flash, there will come a point where F2,8 will be next to useless, therefore, a fast prime must be prioritized over the 70 to 200 zoom range, also.

From that starting point, we might argue about the FL of the first fast Prime first purchased, and also whether (or not) a second Flash is more prudent than a longer (than normal / tele) zoom range lens.

WW

Many people dream of having their own restaurant having no idea of the capital required or the 7-day work weeks. Wedding photography also looks like a fun and easy way to earn money. The reality is that I view a basic kit as two pro cameras, 5 lenses, 2 strobes, and 24GB of CF cards. And I do mean a basic (14-24mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4 or the equivalent for crop cameras) kit to be able to show up at a wedding and not be limited by equipment in my ability to capture the events of the day regardless of the lighting conditions.

In reality I take 3 cameras and 3 strobes, a Quantum light kit for the formals, and I shoot 90% of the time with a second shooter who also has 2 cameras and 2 strobes and a full assortment of lenses.

On the other hand if you want to charge $300 and show up with 1 camera and 1 flash and shoot the wedding as JPEGs and hand the couple a DVD with the files - a shoot and burn photographer - you can work with your present budget and not feel like you are ripping off your clients. You make $30 and hour and if your camera or flash malfunctions your clients will be unhappy but less likely to take you to court.

I believe the best piece of equipment resides between the left & right ears. Please consider taking in-depth seminars from

wedding photographers who have/are doing quite well and are willing to share how they are/have become successful.

Equipment in your hand and other accessories is secondary to having knowledge necessary to create images that are in

tune with your clients desires.

Find someone who could be your coach and mentor.

I think the biggest mistake that can be made is to expect that wedding photography requires only a small investment of time and money in both gear and expertise and experience.

It took me about $5000 to get to the point where I felt I was comfortable doing my first wedding solo and delivering something that would be a consistently quality product. Shooting weddings means taking excellent images of things that happen only once (often very quickly). It also can mean VERY long days full of a lot of running around, carrying rediculously heavy camera gear (resulting in wrists that feel like they are broken after a while), while sweating like crazy in a suit in sometimes sweltering heat.

To top it all off, the powers (or relatives) that be are constantly conspiring to make your job as difficult as possible by getting in your way, or demanding things that can't be done in the alloted time period. Did i mention you're unlikely to get any downtime throughout the day?

And who told you that there's money to be made in photography anyways? If i could make a small living doing it, i wouldn't have a 'real' career too :)

Ok, all joking aside, wedding photography is very rewarding, but also very difficult and (at times) stressful as well... definitely be sure you understand what's involved before you decide to jump in.

Get a day job, one that pays your rent, groceries, utilities, and can accommodate a savings program to fun your long term goal of becoming a wedding photographer. Now, if you can swing that in the photography industry then great, but you would be one of the luck few to start out in a profession on one's choice and being happily compensated. Find something 9-5 that allows you to assist a pro who's style you aspire to emulate. Good pro's may not let you use the work in you portfolio, so once you get enough experience under you belt take on less work and seek out your own. Most important thing though, LEARN BUSINESS (not necessarily the business of photography). Different. Learn tax, contract law, marketing, etc. Keep your $2000 while in college, you'll need it when you get out. Oh, SB-400 is a waste on my opinion for weddings. Low power, limited tilt, more of a pain than an asset. Fisheye is a creative lens, period. I've seen group shots done where the photographer was on the roof of a building and took a shot of a group, but the fisheye effect was what they were after. Right now you have $2000 (assuming it isn't credit a card). I think it would be good money chasing bad money as a student doing weddings. Brides who hire college students are most likely on a very tight budget and are not willing to spend on a photographer's creative abilities, no matter his/ her equipment. Just think it through.

my advice is to listen to what bill c just said.

the gear debate can go on forever. the advice as well... remember to check out the work of the folks who's advice you choose to follow. is

it in tune with what you want to see out of your own work?

The main thing you need to add is a flash- SB600 preferable to 400.

$100 tripod of some kind (Wolf/Ritz Quantaray is good enough) for a stable platform during group shots- allows you to look up and examine the people.

Other than that, your lenses are fine. The 135 would be a waste, and the ultra-wide would add distortion- stand back with the 18-70.

A most important thing: a lot of photographers are poor because they own too much great equipment.

Thanks for all of your advice. I appreciate it greatly.

I should have specified that I wanted to work as an assistant or a second shooter to be exact. To learn the ins and outs of how to properly shoot a wedding and run the business. Of course after reading all your responses, I have to admit that I was astonishingly ignorant as to the equipment, the rigours of being a wedding photographer and the whole ordeal. And after thinking it all through, I have decided to hold off my plans of getting into the industry. To be honest I must admit that I feel deep down in my heart that I still want to experiment with my photography, gain new skills, learn new techniques, after we never stop learning. For now I will keep on just letting my let my imagination flow onto the digital pixels.

Once again I would like to say thanks for all the great advice you have given me.

> after thinking it all through, I have decided to hold off my plans of getting into the industry. To be honest I must admit that I feel deep down in my heart that I still want to experiment with my photography, gain new skills, learn new techniques, after we never stop learning. For now I will keep on just letting my let my imagination flow onto the digital pixels. <

``Do the College sports; the Newspaper, Formals, Portraiture, Little League (kids team sports) or get a gig as an Assistant Wedding Photographer.

Even if it is for very little money, you will find it will most likely be MORE actual $ in the hand than doing a Wedding yourself, AND you will learn far more, and enjoy it better, IMO.``

WW