I only tried LR1.1 for a short period - got disgusted by the usual laughable quality Adobe coding: a memory hog

app full of bugs that runs like a dog on my quad-core machine... pathetic, usual Adobe crap I said and moved on.

However recently I realized I have over 4000+ RAWs in my archive now and I need something better solution than

wasting time with a PS+Picasa combo so I decided to give a shot to LR2b - and I have to admit it's way less

crappy, it' actually looks like a useful software (still stupidly slow on a 3GHz quad-core w/ 4GB though but a

lot faster than the old one and I haven't encountered any crazy bug yet.)

Now that I'm getting deeper and deeper into LR2 I really want to know: what's the proper and/or best way to make

a backup of its DB including metadata, edits etc (pictures are exempted, they sit on my RAID5 home NAS box anyway)?

Thanks for the help!

• 3 months later...

There is an option to backup the catalog every N days, look in the menu. It's just a file, it contains all the settings. You can back it up yourself or use the lightroom reminder. It doesn't back up the previews (that would be slow...)

It's a sqlite database by the way so if you want to dig into it, there are free tools for that. The database schema is a mess though.

The fun thing in Lightroom is that the complicated things are super fast (like 2 seconds to process a 12 Mpix raw file... lol... that used to tage ages...) and the simple stuff like moving a slider is quite slow. Go figure.