Canon v Nikon v Pentax for a new body

I'll keep this short and sweet: I made some poor decisions in the dSLR market recently and I'm thus selling the

gear I've bought (no major investments).

With extra cash, I'll have a little over $700. I'm severely torn between these three guys, especially with no

previous lens investments.

For Canon, I'd decided against the Rebel bodies--too light and feels too toyish. There's a Canon refurb'd 30D on

Adorama that paired with a thrifty fifty would put me at about $725.

On the Nikon side, I don't even know where to begin. Most of my dSLR knowledge pertains to Canon models, and I

find nothing but conflicting opinions for Nikon. I'd love a D80 but it pushes my budget severely (I have to eat

too); with the prints I'll want, the D40 is out, yet I've heard both negative and positive things about the D60.

I've recently been drawn into Pentax though. The K200D body is $600, or $685 with the 18-55mm; there's also a

$100 rebate on those for a couple weeks. Should I avoid going "third party"? Will finding quality lenses be an

issue? Are there any reliable mount converters for Pentax?

Any other recommendations for my budget?

You say you've already decided against the Rebel, so far be it from me to argue with you, but just allow me to suggest that the

implication of "light" is "...and you're more likely to be carrying it when the perfect shot comes up."

Just my $0.02. I see a lot of photographers talking about "light" and "small" as if they are some sort of detriments. To my mind, they

the Rebel's greatest assets.

I feel Pentax has the best thought-out system for a photographer

who is not independently wealthy or a super-successful pro.

Aren't the Nikon D40 and D60 missing DOF preview?

Hard to see why someone would buy a (D)SLR without that.

Might as well get a point&shoot.

Dpreview.com reviewed the Pentax 18-55 and it seems

you won't find a better 3rd party lens for $85.

Personally I'd combine the 17-70/4 and 50-135/2.8.

Both take size 67 filters, as does the old 300/4.5.

I believe the low-end Canons are more durable than they feel.

But I'm not wild about their lineup of consumer lenses.

I don't much care for dpreviews's "reviews". I prefer something opinion-based rather than a statement of the camera's features. Are there any K200D users out there? Most sites parade it as a dSLR for idiots, but I'm not sure if that's to attract beginners or if it really is a beginner's tool.

I just came back from a week vacation. 90% D40+18/135 10 % D200

80% 18/135 - 5% 18/70- 5% 35 2.0 on D40

Did scenics, hikes, grandchildren water sking etc.

Some of the best were D40- 800 ISO.

One roll Delta 100 Leica M6, 50 2.8, 90 4.0

The camera you have with you will get the best pics.

"If you're not planning on shooting at ISOs higher than 400 then the Pentax will work as good as the other brands"

The high ISO performance of the Pentax DSLRs is as good or better than comparable Nikons (many of them share the

same sensor), so I'm not sure why you'd feel the need to limit yourself to ISO 400. I've routinely shot my Pentax

K100D at ISO 1600 and the results are phenomenal.

"Is that universe as high of quality as the Canons and Nikons, or will I never reach the ivory grandeur of L glass?"

Every brand has its share of great glass, good glass, so-so glass, and crappy glass. All things considered,

Pentax glass tends to consistently range from good to great. There are very few so-so or crappy lenses in their

lineup. As an example, Pentax's 18-55 "kit lens" happens to be one of the best on the market -- definitely

superior to its Canon and Nikon counterparts. Pentax's 50/1.4 is considered one of the best ever made -- it is

sharper at 1.4 than the Canon and Nikon equivalents. As far as used lenses are concerned, some of the older

manual focus lenses made by Pentax are extraordinarily good -- on par with the best lenses from Leica and Zeiss.

I just recently bought the D60 kit with the 55-200VR and 55-200VR lenses and couldn't be happier with the kit. The lenses do an excellent job, very sharp and clear images. I paid $849 from a local dealer, I hate mail ordering camera gear! I've seen the same kit from various internet outlets from $649 up to about $799. I've used Canon gear for almost 40 years but just got back into photography after a 14 year break. I switched to Nikon, easier to use menu system, better prices on their gear, and Nikon has always been known for their excellent lenses. I have a Canon S3is that I'll be selling to buy more Nikon gear. YMMV

gunfighter48

"Is that universe as high of quality as the Canons and Nikons, or will I never reach the ivory grandeur of L glass?"

Well, at least as good, if you're talking about primes. The Pentax Limited FA series (and to a lesser extent, the Limited DA series) is excellent...comparable to Leica and Zeiss glass (if not Canon :^)). Zooms, well, maybe not as much, although the brand new DA zooms with built in motor are supposed to be quite good. I wouldn't worry about the quality of glass available compared to the two majors. You also have access to the ZK/ZF Zeiss lenses and Voigtlanders as well. The Pentax bodies are also quite well thought out.

"I made some poor decisions in the dSLR market recently"

What were the poor decisions you made? Why didn't the camera you just sold meet your requirements?

Sometime the camera that fits right in your hands means more the the addition or subtraction of certain features.

"I don't much care for dpreviews's "reviews". I prefer something opinion-based rather than a statement of the camera's features. "

I made a wrong choice of dslr system by taking my friends opinions, that time I did not know anything about DSLRs. The more I researched, the more i learn, and i never regretted the decision i made after that.

Liked Sony, started with Nikon; loved D80 bought D40x, eventually Canon XTi suited all my requirements.

Not just specification and feature listing, DPReview provides comparison and opinions on various tests (see in-depth review pages). For the opinion/judgment given, there will be some kind of proof; an image or a comparison or a rational explanation.

Even for the most unpopular equipment, there will be at least one Big fan; beware of brand-fans. I would consider sites like dpreview.

Good Luck

Well, maybe I misspoke. I find dpreview extremely useful, just not in their review of the K200D; it was simple regurgitation of information I could find on any other site.

Does anyone have experience with ordering company refurbished gear from Adorama? A refurb'd 400D and a thrifty fifty is well in my budget and would allow for more gear on top of it, but the 30D, eating up my entire budget at about $200 more, is quite tempting.

Hello Tim,

"Does anyone have experience with ordering company refurbished gear from Adorama?"

I have bought two Canon refurbished DSLR bodies and four Canon refurbished lenses from Adorama without any

problems. All the items look brand new and function perfectly. Adorama's warranty on refurbs is 90 days. The only

thing that looks different is the box which is sealed with a Canon sticker or tape. I always buy refurb when possible

and have saved a fair bit of money.