Leica M8 no FF hows it going for you guys?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"because the current M8 sensor is perfect...indeed, blowing away the 1DsMkIII in resolution, color rendition and high ISO performance"

Unfortunately these thing can be measured.

It is better to say you like the sharpness right out of the camera. Sharpness is subjective. Resolution can be measured and quantified.

Color rendition is also a subjective thing. Color accuracy can be measured and plotted.

High ISO performance is something that can be measured and closely analyzed. I like the fact that tests are not only measuring the noise level but also how much detail is retained. You can also show the noise characteristics. For example, Nikon has done an excellent job in reducing chroma noise.

<i>Leica's Products are develop and made by panasonic. So I guess that was the rabbit. But it is interesting to see what else is in the pipe lines.</i>

<p>

No part of the M8 is made by Panasonic. The body and lenses are made by Leica, the sensor is made by Kodak, and the firmware by Jenoptik.

Hey Dave I agree with you totally and all that say, its way to expensive, not FF etc., Leica collector's item, etc. over built-pre-obsolescence grrrumble etc., and so forth.

But was this just an epiphany you had?

I mean your current rant is the same that's been echoed here since the thing came out. Its a good rant though :)

The other thing I never understood is, why (and this isn't related to anyone directly) when people ask someone how they like something, and someone says "I love it" nobody seems to believe them??? Is it because they didn't hear what they wanted to hear?

Isn't the best camera only as good as the person using it?

I just came here for a good rant. I've loaded M6s/M7s, played with it. But not really my thang. I use G2s thats my preference. Also had an Mamiya 7ii which is similar handling to the M6. Came here and wanted fed back as to how Leica

users feel that the M8 isnt full frame. If I own an M8 and previous to that I had, I had 6s and 7s. I would be annoyed. All

my 50mm and 35mm suddenly became short teles. Then Wouldnt I have to re-invest in some wider lenses to go back to

what I wanted? wouldnt anyone be annoyed.

Well, I would have known that before I purchased one, but there seems to be some people that are not annoyed and some are. I use a D200 and I have a few older Nikon lenses, I'm not annoyed. Wouldn't plunk 5000 thousand on the M8 b/c i think its way over priced. But if people think its worth it, no big to me. But I think you could have gotten your answer with a couple of mouse clicks. its all been stated several times on this forum. Would I like a digital M that I could use my lenses on that I could afford? sure. I like my Summicrons. But I also like film..

But then again, everyone seems to enjoy the energy of going through it again so why should I complain eh?