Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S

leonard_forte1

Like most "specialty lenses" (i.e. everything but "kit" zooms), this lens is probably batch produced. It's very unlikely to be in continuous production. As such, there may be times when it is out of stock for long periods of time at very high volume dealers like B&H if the demand for a lens exceeds what Nikon forecast when the last batch was produced. Often, you can find these lenses at smaller vendors when B&H is out of stock.

Has Nikon stopped production? If they have, the only reason would probably be that there is an as yet unannounced VR replacement. If that was indeed the case, anyone here that had any real knowledge about it couldn't tell you, because of a NDA.

Yes, waiting is a nuisance. :-(

Why Nikon in its infinite wisdom chose not to produce a VR version when they upgraded this lens to AF-S will forever remain shrouded in mystery :-) It would have sold like hot cakes, judging from forum clamor at the time. Maybe they were afraid to hurt sales of the (at the time non-VR) f2,8 versions. A mistake IMHO.

leonard, a very wise person said, "He who seeks shall find." so get busy.

as for the "might-have-beens" about making the lens VR, it didn't happen so it won't do much good to grouse about it here. it may be it would've sold like hotcakes, but it already appears to be doing well enough that would-be buyers are waiting for one.

VR is not the end all be all. In some applications it is a waste. I shoot a lot of moving objects. Some of them fast some of them not so fast. I don't use nor do I have any interest in a VR lens. My 300 f/2.8 is heavy enough with out the addition of VR.

The 300 f/4 AF-S is a nice size lens Add VR to it and it becomes more of a handful.

>"Why Nikon in its infinite wisdom chose not to produce a VR version when they upgraded this lens to AF-S"

At the time (2000), IIRC there was only one VR lens in the lineup. That was the AF 80~400 VR, and that lens was not AF-S. Aperture ring + AF-S + VR apparently was/is a technical issue, and there was considerable gnashing of teeth and soulful whining from users about G lenses at that point in the development of the Nikon system. So it might indeed have *not* sold like hot cakes.

When/if Nikon adds VR to this lens, it will be a G lens.

<i>Add VR to it and it becomes more of a handful.</i>

<p>

Well I guess Nikon's engineers must suck compared to Canon's then, since the Canon lens with IS is slightly lighter and shorter than the Nikon without.

I have found it at another store but I wanted to get it from B&H (gray version) becuase its cgeaper and I would but the kirk collar with the savings.

I dont have much experience with VR so not sure if it would be useful to me.

Thanks for all responses. I'd like to see other hand-held shots

I have used this lens for about 6 years now and it just works. I have used it on fm-2n, n80, f100, D80 and it

was excellent on any of these. It is one lens that turns out pleasing images. I do use it hand held without any

problems. As far as I am concerned it is very hand holdable. I have a tc-14eII and tc-20eII. It works

perfectly with the tc-14. The tc-20 is basically manual focus, in super bright light auto focus may work on high

contrast subject. The overall results with the TC-20 are no way near as good though. I would have no hesitation

about recommending it. As far as VR is concerned, anything else would be nice but lack of it is not much of a

hindrance to this lens.

Here are a couple hand held. I just switched to digital so most of my stuff is still on slides. These are a few

quick shots I took the other day.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/2494264369_6483eaaf02.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2310/2495085466_3e56e7e631.jpg?v=0