Hallo Bay

outdoor_guy

We are taking a day trip out to Hallo Bay and I was wondering if anyone has done this before (we are also going to

Katmai). During the day trip will they supply us with deck boots or will we have to supply our own. I will take a Lowe

backpack full of gear, will they allow me to fly with it?

Michael

Michael, I did a day trip to Hallo Bay with Chris and Ken Day of Emerald Air Service so I can only speak to my

experience with them. (They are great!) They provided hip boots for wading to shore. I brought a backpack with

two camera bodies, a 200-400 VR and 70-200 VR and a tripod. Hallo Bay is in Katmai National Park. I have a

slide show of that trip at http://www.cbabbitt.com/Bears/index.html and I have posted some shots on my page here

on photo.net. Enjoy the trip, it is an incredible place!

• 3 months later...

Michael.

Can you tell me i fyou have a outfitter or guide service already? The Hallo Bay area is a large area, are you going to specifically Hallo Bay or the Hallo Bat costal Katmai area? I would first check with you guide service and see if they offfer the equipment most have some supply but I always suggest bring your own as it is far better to be prepared. If you need a service, I have been to that area alot. The guide service I recommen all depends what you want to do. It depends if you want to be land based or boat based and traveling to different parts along the coast. I can only think of one land based operator and it is Hallo Bay (www.hallobay.com). I have been there and it is a great spot and one that allows you to really get some amazing stuff.

You can also use a boat based operator and live on the boat, usually a converted tug, and travel to different bays and areas only the Katmai coast and then take a zodiac into the land to photograph. I would recommend the M/V waters. John Rogers(katmaibears@alaska.net) owns and operates it and I know one of thier bear guides Brad Jospehs and he is a great guy and excellent at what he does.

Well, let me know if your interested in these two as I know both Client (Hallo Bay) and John (Katmai Bears) and could help you more then just this basic email.

All the best,

Matt