How to make an informal ceremony interesting?

michael_riggs

I'm doing my first wedding gig in 2 weeks and I'm searching for ideas on how to make some shots stand out and

make a lasting impression. It's going to be a short, informal ceremony at a park with the reception at a nearby

church. No fancy outfits. No grand production. Just family and a few friends. I'm trying to come up with some ideas

for distinctive shots, and need help. There is a marble statue of Christ outside the church, and I already have a roll of

IR film for the 645 camera slated for those shots. I plan on formal group shots at the park and candid shots and the

reception. I'll check out the park this weekend and see what I have to work with there. Any ideas people?

Your first question is to broad for me to answer. I'm not sure what you are asking. The second question is a bit tricky. You need a contract to have permission. You don't want to be messing with model releases. You need a wedding contract. By the way, be careful with this. A general rule is you can only use the bride and the groom. They are the ones that signed this agreement. Next is get permission from the parents if you use the ring bearer or a flower girl.

You make it interesting by working with what you have--the existing location and subjects--and getting images that will result in a compelling and emotionally strong story. Infrared and other processing effects, as well as the odd angle or whatever, do nothing (or very little) to add to that compelling and emotionally strong story.

• 2 weeks later...

Nadine, I disagree. From the work I've done using infrared can make an mediocre scene/setting much more interesting because it's presented in an unusual way.

Bob, I'm doing this as a hobbyist. The bride specifically requested "nothing too fancy", and it's an informal ceremony, so I feel a wedding contract isn't necessary. I'm not going to be that photographer who does a 2 hour long bridal shoot in 90 degree weather before the ceremony.