Alternative tilt head for Bogen/Manfrotto monopod 680B

hajo_g2

I' have just bought a Manfrotto monopod and have two question regarding the tilt head and accessories.

1) I am looking for a tilt head with quick release that has markings or click-stop postions at 0 and 90 degrees

(portrait and horizontal). Is there a (reasonably priced) tilt head with these features? The corresponding

Manfrotto tilt head 234RC doesn't do this, it tilts freely between ~ +100 and -100 degrees and can be locked at

any position.

2) One thing that annoys me is that when tilting the camera on the monopod, I have to adjust the height of the

monopod each time because the camera doesn't tilt around the axis of the viewfinder but the axis of the tilt

head. Is there a way - maybe with additional plates or assecories - to work around this, so that the axis would

be closer to the viewfinder?

Thank you very much for your advice.

I use a Manfrotto 222 knock-off and it works fine on a monopod. It works in any direction, but no click stops, of course. It does have a level bubble on it, but I can't say I've ever used it. When on the monopod, the rig is also very handy for self-defense. ;)

Really Right Stuff makes a couple of solutions (q.v., http://reallyrightstuff.com/tripods/04.html). An L-bracket for your camera would be an useful accessory (also available at RRS).

The only thing which would pivot about the center of the lens (or viewfinder) would be a gimbal mount or possibly a panorama device. Either would be bulky and expensive, more suited to a tripod than a monopod. My suggestion is to stay simple, stoop a little when needed and adjust the height of the monopod.

The RRS "solution" is characteristically overkill--a spirit level on a monopod head? WTF!? Besides, it does nothing the humble Manfrotto does for lots less $.

Get the Manfrotto 234 with a QR plate and live with the minor inconvenience. Problem is, viewfinder eyepieces just aren't centred on any Earth-built SLR I've ever seen.

RRS now offers the MH-01 swivel as an heavy-duty alternative to the Manfrotto 234 swivel. It is possible to mount one of several RRS QR clamps on that swivel, which incidently have a bubble level. The Manfrotto 234 has a weight capacity of only about 5 pounds, which is easily exceeded by a DSLR and lens, rendering the swivel unuseable if tilted more than a few degrees. If you need more capacity, get the MH-01. If you want the convenience of an A/S style QR system, add one of the clamps. You can safely ignore the bubble level if that disturbs you :-)

Funny but I used a 234 today with an F3HP+MD4+180/2.8AIS an didn't notice any slippage. RRS is a bit disingenuous with the 5lb limit claim for the Manfrotto, not to mention the 75lb limit it claims for its product. Nice gear but probably over-spec'd(and over-priced)--a 234 on steroids. It's for a monopod, anyway--hardly the epitome of stability.

An ARCA Swiss compatible quick release is the way to go with a tripod but, especially with a monopod. An RRS L-

bracket will solve the problem of recomposing or re-elevating the camera when switching from horizontal to vertical

and back again.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/QR/05.html

Both Kirk Enterprises and RRS modify the Manfrotto Monopod Tilt Head to fit their Arca Compatible Q.R. systems.

You can also put one of their Q.R. clamps on your own Manfrotto tit head.

A less expensive alternate (but not quite as slick as the RRS L-Bracket) is the Manfrotto Junior Elbow Bracket which

fits on a Manfrotto RC-2 quick release system.

http://www.adorama.com/BG341.html?searchinfo=manfrotto%20L%20plate&item_no=40

Please note that an RRS L-Plate will not work with a 234RC. The RRS plates require an "Arca-Swiss style" quick

release clamp, like the clamps that RRS sells. RRS is happy to sell you a cheaper set than what others here have

linked to. Check out http://reallyrightstuff.com/tripods/03.html to see it. It's basically the plain Manfrotto

234 (not 234RC) swivel head, with an RRS clamp attached. You can also buy just the clamp from them, get the 234

elsewhere, and assemble yourself.

And it seems that Kirk has something similar, also building on the Manfrotto 234.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/monopod.html

• 8 months later...

<p>For Gary Watson: It's not RRS that sets the weight limit for the Manfrotto 2232 (formerly 234RC), but Manfrotto. See the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5498-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_3232_3232_Swivel_Tilt_Head.html">B&H page</a> --it gives a limit of 5.5 lb. Subtract out the clamp (about 4 oz) and you're down to 5.25 lb. Go argue with Manfrotto. (Weight limits for heads are usually conservative, as the manufacturer doesn't want to be sued when someone's rig suddenly flops over.) My Canon 30D + grip + Canon 100-400mm L IS lens + 1.4x extender weighs over 7 lb.<br>

Re: bubble level: you can use the RRS B2-Pro clamp, which does NOT have a level, or the B2-Pro II, which does.<br>

One advantage of RRS's high-capacity solution is that the clamp will not slip/turn. The head has two fingers that fit into grooves on the bottom of the clamp. The B2-Pro has one set of grooves, so it can be mounted in only one orientation. The B2-Pro II has two sets of grooves, so it can be mounted parallel or perpendicular to the tilt.<br>

Another solution is to use a ballhead on the monopod. That will allow you to use a wider range of stances, including bracing the end of the monopod against your foot, which can improve stability. If you get a ballhead with a friction adjust, you can follow a moving subject quite easily.</p>

<p> </p>