lens choice for a trip

mboulos

In August I will leave for a four month trip through China, Southeast Asia, and the Middle East. I am building my photography skills as well

as my kit, and I am now looking for one or two additional lenses to carry with me.

My current setup is a XT with a 50 f/1.8, which has proved to be wonderful so far.

My budget is roughly under $700, and I would like to add one or two lenses to my setup, and I want to make sure that I make lens

purchases that make sense for my trip and growth as a photographer.

What recommendations do you have for a lens upgrade both for the many photographic opportunities I will encounter on the trip (ranging

the gamut: urban shots, landscapes, villagers) and learning to shoot beyond my prime lens? I would love to hear your field wisdom as well

as budgetary and technical advice.

Take care.

matt

P.S. I am currently leaning heavily toward the 17-40 f/4L, but I am also thinking about the 70-200mm f/4L USM, even though it will be

heavy and puts me out of budget for a wide-angle lens.

for landscapes in the places you're going you should definately have a wide angle lens but I guarantee you will find yourself in the position (quite a few times) of wanting to be able to zoom to get a certain shot. 4 months to take pictures...if there is any possibility, you should try to up your budget so you can afford a wide angle and a telephoto. the 17-40 is an excellent choice but it wont give you any real zoom. the 70-200 is an excellent choice also. you'd be set with these 2 lenses. Sigma makes an 18-200mm lens for Canon;about $400. that will cover your wide angle and telephoto in 1. leaving you with some leftover $ for? polarizer, extra battery, tripod, memory card(s), Or you could check out the Canon 28-135 which is not a wide angle but it's a lot wider than what you have. It has IS, it produces good quality images and will give you some telephoto range.It's about $400 as well. The best thing to do would be to get the 2 lenses you mentioned above. You will be set and you'll come back with a ton of good shots. I would pay for the 17-40 with the $700 u have and i'd put the other lens on my card if i were you. Also-if you don't have a computer to upload your photos on while on the trip, get yourself a few memory cards.

Abner's words are seconded, the Sigma 18-200 is pretty o.k. and within your budget. An other option would be the two IS kit lenses 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS.

For image quality your choice of the 17-40 is hard to beat. (Maybe add a second hand tele if you don't want to mis out on that.

Slightly above budget would be the 17-40 plus the 55-250 IS but with the 50/1.8 it would cover all your needs. (Except true macro.)

Have a nice trip, Matthijs.

For four months of traveling, keep it as simple and light as you can. In Asia, I've found wide angles FAR more useful than a telephoto would be. I've traveled quite a bit in Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, and Laos (and I live in Korea)--most of my photos get taken with a 50 and a 28 on a 5D. There have been a few occasions when I wished I had something longer, but there have been many more occasions when I wished I was carrying even less weight/bulk than that small set.

Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and Canon 55-250mm IS. I have this particular set and it's great - not too heavy, extensive

range, great image quality. You should be able to fit it in your budget. The only drawback

against it is that it won't cover super wide (i.e. below 17mm) - but if you are happy with just the 50mm then you

probably won't miss that. Stitching is always an option, I do that frequently.

I would extend the budget and buy the EF-S17 to 55F2.8IS, (put the 50mm in you pocket if you desire) and leave it at that for the lenses.

Specifically for the trip: I would be more concerned about how to store the images captured over four months and the costs and weight of that answer: pun intended.

WW

You can always buy then lenses and when you come back sell them on ebay, the depreciation is your rental fee. If you

bought say the 70-200 f/4 L (actually a very light lens) for $600 you would probably get 85%-90% of what you paid for it.

Its a trip of a lifetime.........

Matt:

<P>

I just got back from a trip out to the US West -- I stayed in hotels with a rental car so I had the luxury of being able to take a fair amount of gear. I found that for 95% of my pictures I used my Tamron 17-50mm lens. I didn't need to go wider too often, but when I did my Tokina 12-24mm was invaluable. I left it behind on one hike and was sorry I did. I also have the Canon 70-200 f4, but hardly ever used it, and really wouldn't have missed it. Other people say it's a great travel lens, good for isolating subjects, but I just didn't need it for the types of pictures I take -- your own personal style may be different.

<P>

Any advice from William W should be heeded -- I'm happy with my Tamron, but the IS and the extra reach of the Canon lens are appealing. Add a wideangle if you can break the budget; how often can you take a trip like this?

<P>

And his point about storing the images is very important. Especially if you shoot raw, your cards will fill up fast. Do you plan to carry a lot of cards (4 months worth?) I imagine a laptop will be too bulky; will you be in cities where you can buy some DVDs and use a computer to back up your images? Or take a storage device like an Epson or Hyperdrive (not a recommendation, just throwing out names) -- there goes the budget again, sorry.

<P>

And if you like panoramas, ArcSoft Panorama Maker is a great program. If you're careful you can shoot hand held and it'll stitch the pictures together for you.

<P>

Sounds like a great trip, have fun.<div>00Q3Lf-54075684.jpg.321b8864d1931c5629c2b5ac14a4ccbb.jpg</div>

If I didn't need to take music performance shots during my last trip to China, I bet I could have taken just my XTi, Sigma 30, and SD700is. There were many times that the P&S outdoors was more than adequate. The Sigma 30 supplemented for low-light and quality shots. That said, I'm tempted by the Sigma 18-50 DC EX as a one-lens zoom option, but I wonder if I'd miss available f/1.4.

On all my travels over the last few years, (using a film camera) I have only carried 50mm and 20mm lenses. I never felt like I missed any shots for lack of lenses, and it was light enough that I never left the set in the hostel. I think with a wide prime or superwide zoom along with the 50mm you already have, you should be set. Best, JR

Answering within your budget - Canon's 28mm f1.8 prime and either of Canon's 75-300 or a 100-300. This will bring you in slightly under budget, more so if you can find used. Use the extra cash to buy more memory cards. The 28mm is closest to true 50mm on the XT, and does a good job of representing what you see with your eyes. It is fairly wide, anything good that is much wider than 24mm will blow your budget... Also pretty fast for low light photos. The telephoto lens are perfectly adequate for non-pro photos. Take you time, take lots of pics, maybe use a monopod. Have a great trip.

I just came back from vacation - not China, but still a vacation... While I brought a variety of equipment in a larger bag, what went into the 'day' bag - and what I used almost exclusively - was the following:

Canon 20D, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Canon 70-210 f3.5-f4.5, circular polarizing filters, Canon 580ex flash.

That covers the 35mm equivalent FoV of 27mm-335mm at a faily fast speed. (only a gap from 80mm-110mm). I brought the flash for indoor shots as I was also attending a wedding.

See what you can find used and you may come close to your budget.Otherwise, you could get one lens for the trip and sell it later - say a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-f4.5 - that covers a wide range, and is fairly fast.

A 'trip' lens may not be a lens that you keep for long after the trip is over. Each lens has its merits, and what you may need on a trip (light, all purpose, etc) may not be the same as your photographic requirements after the trip.

If your trip costs (guess here) $3000? And you buy a $600 lens that you sell for $400 after you return, the $200 you add to your overall trip cost is minimal - to ensure having more appropriate equipment.

I would base my pair on an excellent mid-range zoom with an f/2.8 aperture. The 17mm is wide enough for my needs

just about anywhere. I would back this mid-range lens up with a tele zoom. I really like longer focal length lenses for

shooting in the Orient because I can stand back and shoot close-ups of people when they don't know I am shooting

them. This results in a more natural portrait. It seems like, kids in the Orient (especially in Vietnam) love their

picture taken and will ham it up for the camera. Older people seem camera shy and try to avoid the photos.

Your $700 budget limits your choices somewhat and knocks out the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens which IMO is the

absolute premier mid-range zoom for a 1.6x crop camera.

Working under a $700 budget, I would select the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens as my basic mid-range zoom. The $289

you would have left could buy you the Canon 55-250mm IS which is a decent lens for the price and has IS capability.

If you could afford a few hundred dollars more, the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS would be a great addition which would be

more versatile than the 55-250mm lens.

The idea of using eBay as a rental source by purchasing a lens or lenses and then reselling after your trip would

open broader horizons in your lens selection. If you bought on ebay and used Paypal credit, you could buy the lens

(es), use it/them on your trip and sell it/them after the trip before your first PayPal credit payment comes due.

My absolute favorite combination for any travel is the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses.

I want to thank all of you for your insights. This is exactly what I was hoping to read. If anyone else has something to

mention, I would love to hear it, but I first wanted to express my gratitude.

If money is tight, the two new kit lenses from Canon (the 18-55 IS and the 55-250 IS) are a possibility. To go wider, consider also a Sigma 10-20mm if you can stretch your budget - it is a fair amt cheaper than the Canon 10-22.

Keep your 50mm f/1.8 for low light.

The way I view photographing a trip (especially one to far away and for an extended period of time) is that it is like covering a Wedding: it is a one off so I need the camera ready all the time.

I went to on my first big trip when I was 18; I took my whole 135 format kit: one body, 35/f4; 58/F1.2; 135/F4 as much film as I could carry. . . how much TIME did I waste changing lenses; rerolling half finished film; reloading a new type of film etc . . . when I could have been taking a picture (not to mention the thinking the COST of film and therefore thinking: `is the shot worth it`).

Ok so it was good learning to get that `one shot` mentality, but times change.

We now have a new technology. Zoom lenses` quality has improved AND at F2.8, constant maximum aperture, through the zoom range.

DSLR (even the entry level models) produce RAW files that can, with good glass, and correct exposure give consistent 11 x 14 prints of a very high standard.

So in basic speak, that means I can get a good 5x7, which is 1/4 of that original 11 x 14 print . . . that means I can crop well exposed shots quite a lot . . . (following my drift?)

Also, in simple speak, I can shoot 100,000 frames at the cost of one entry level DSLR, one memory card and some DVDs, and then I only need to spend $200 to get a new shutter, and do it all again.

This leaves so much more time for TAKING photographs, and carrying less gear.

With the quality (and lens speed) of zooms available, the 80/20 law comes into play: 80% of the shots are taken with 20% of the whole kit (and my access to a full Wedding kit is very comprehensive).

What do I (now) use 80% of the time? A fast zoom across the wide to short tele range.

This too is the range MOST photographers / photojournalists use everyday, when travelling i.e. speaking 135 format: 24 to 70 / 28 to 80 etc.

On a trip things happen once and sometimes quickly: IMO we have to maximize the bang for the buck: easy access to gear, having it available to shoot at any time, ready to go; make it light, because it is carried everywhere.

I too like primes, Primes are great and I am crazy about redundancy; but for a trip I think the versatility of a fast zoom, needs to be exploited.

a) My `ideal` ready to go anywhere travel kit, based on a Canon Digital APS-C:

Two Bodies, the SAME; 10 to 22; 17 to 55F2.8IS; fast `normal` prime, most likely Sigma 30, maybe a flash . . . (do not dismiss the pop up flash, it can be used creatively for flash fill, and it can be diffused). To make that kit even lighter, I would loose the 10 to 22, and use digital technology to make a panorama when necessary: we have to exploit the technology.

b) On the matter of Primes for ready to go travel kit: Mike Dixon`s comments resonates with me.

If I chose primes, I would also choose a 5D, but I would still wear the weight of two bodies. I would go a fraction wider (and heavier), choosing the 24mmF1.4 and a fraction longer choosing the 85mmF1.8. I might be tempted to carry a 50mm in my pocket, but I do not think so.

c) My absolute ideal light weight, flexible, redundant travel kit: two bodies, one APS-C and one Full Frame (using same layout and batteries, e.g. 30D / 5D); 16 to 35MkII F2.8; 50/F1.4 (think about the range, redundancy, weight, immediacy, lens changes etc)

The main shooting protocols on a trip:

1. Absolute MINIMUM lens changes whilst in the field: ideally, none.

2. Download, filing / numbering and redundancy storage at the end of each day: maybe send zip files home, if possible.

There is a logic in the F4 / IS lenses being used for travel, and these comments do not dismiss that logic out of hand: the 10 to 22 and 24 to 105 combination for APS-C comes to mind: but I always prioritize lens speed as the over riding criterion AND, importantly, the question posed is seeking two main outcomes, one is for a travel lens(es); the other is regarding learning and growth.

I believe one of the biggest mistakes in buying gear for a one off event is budgeting to buy more goodies (a bundle of lenses) of mediocre quality.

It is all about exploiting the technology to get the best bang: this is not as much in the bodies, it is in the glass.

So if you really want `growth as a photographer`: buy fewer at a time, buy good quality, buy fast glass.

WW

Mike Dixon hits the nail on the head--keep it simple and keep it light! For around $700, consider the Canon

28F2.8 EOS (for a normal) and the Tokina 12-24 wide zoom. The latter with the proviso that you can spend a week

prior to your trip, using it heavily to become accustomed to it. The heavy L zooms you're thinking about will

likely not yield more keepers than the 50 you already have.

Matt B,

For a trip such as yours, 4 months in Asia and Middle East, it is probably a once in a life time trip. I think

you need to ask yourself several questions:

1) what are the locations in the countries you're going? What's the locale like? Cities? More rural settings?

Historical monuments? - that may "dictate" the type of pictures you are likely to take

2) Being from Thailand myself (living in the US) I can say in general, Asia is a very dusty place (air pollution,

etc.)...I strongly suggest that you don't change lenses "in the field" often because you're very likely to

attract dust on your sensor and mirror. Take a high quality cleaning kit with you.

3) Since it sounds like you have a Canon Rebel of some model, I think the new kit EF-S lens is something to

strongly consider as others had suggested. They are not L lens but decent. My Dad has these lens for his XTi.

The earlier suggested EF-S lenses are lightweight. The 70-200mm f/4 L you're thinking of is a good lens. It is

not heavy like the f/2.8 L version. I rented the 70-200 f/4 L IS version and the weight was just right for me.

4) If you are stopping in Hong Kong, I suggest you shop for lens there too. You might find a good bargain there,

especially since you can actually bargain but prepare to pay cash for a good deal. Make sure you arm yourself

with information of prices for same lenses from B&H and Amazon so you can compare. Go to Kowloon side, get off at

the subway stop called Mong Kok. A lot of electronics stores there - shop your heart out there for the latest

electronics. No sales tax in Hong Kong.

I came back not that long ago on a trans-Panama Canal cruise. I took my 5D body, 24mm prime, 28-70mm f/2.8 L,

100mm f/2.8 macro and rented a 70-200mm f/4 L IS. My 24mm amd 100mm never came out of the bag. On shore

excursions I mostly used my 28-70. While the ship went through the canal locks I used my 70-200mm mostly.

So...I only used 50% of the lenses that I took with me. One thing that also came in handy when I didn't want to

carry my gear was my Powershot A95. A point-and-shoot type sometimes works best.

I think you need to think about the places you're going and what type of photo ops you might have there based on

what you're reading in guidebooks, etc. Since you have about a month before your trip, you may want to rent the

lenses that interests you for the weekend to try them out before you decide to buy. The source I rented the

70-200 from is LensProToGo.com - superb service and their price includes FedEx shipping to you and back to them.

There are other sources too. If there is a Calumet near you check them too - they also rent gear.

You're going at a time when it will still be quite hot in SEAsia (and it is the tail end of the rainy season) - I

wouldn't want to carry so much gear walking around, you'll work up a sweat. I don't know what type of hotels

you'll be staying, if there are no in-room safe or personal safe at the reception/front desk, you are advise to

not leave expensive electronics or any sort of valuables in your room (I'm speaking of China and SEAsia - I have

never been to ME so can't advise).

Other folks have given much suggestions about what lenses to consider so I'm not going to rehash. In the end you

need to think about the types of photos you want to take, the places you're going and the photo ops there. But I

agree with William W, if you're going to invest in this "hobby" long term, invest in good quality and fast glass.

Enjoy the trip and post pictures when you get back!

Just stick to your 50mm lens. There is nothing that you cannot do with it. People like Cartier-Bresson traveled the world with just 50mm in the bag. It will force you to "see" composition rather than wishing that you had this lens or that on the camera and miss the crucial moment.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!

I think you will find that Henri used both 35mm and 50mm lenses extensively for his still film photography, and also I think you will find that very rarely (by comparison) did he use an 80mm or a 90mm lens.

I make the point, not to be a smart ar$e, but because it is important as specifically the 50mm lens is being referenced: `there is nothing you cannot do with it` and also the 50mm lens is being referenced to great photographers of years gone past, like Henri, who often used a 50mm lens.

The fact that Henri used a 50mm as his `extension of the eye` (one of his famous quotes), is irrelevant in this particular situation, as Henri used his on 135 format film body and in this thread the 50mm lens is being used on an APS-C format digital body.

This point seems to be often overlooked when recommending a 50mm lens as a `must have`, for digital SLR bodies, most of which are subminature format.

WW

I stand corrected on several points: I did not realize Matt was using a digital APS-C format. That changes

everything, and I would recommend taking along a prime ~28mm lens instead of a 50mm.

HCB did use a short tele occasionally but very rarely. But he even more rarely used a 35mm, if at all, for

nearly all of his more renowned work. 50mm on the 35mm film format sometimes looks as if it is a wide angle. A

little tilt off the vertical axis gives that illusion, especially with non-ASPH lenses.

I might have implied by my words that HCB never used any other lens, but that is not what I wrote. HCB did

travel the world some of the time with only 50mm. All his wartime Europe, and his late 1940s Mexico and USA

photos were taken with a 50mm. But most likely he did use a short tele in India in the 1950s (I am guessing from

the optical perspectives in some of his photos). He evidently did carry a short tele during his coverage of

communist China's ascendancy, because one photo of him in action shows a Leica with a short tele hanging off his

shoulder.

But I do stand by my figurative statement, that `there is nothing you cannot do with it (50mm in 35mm format)`.

It is all in the choice of composition to go for, just as William quotes, as an "extension of the eye".