What camera would these 11x14 film holders be used in?

craig_supplee

I aquired three 11x14 film holders and one 11x14 holder with a ground glass the other day, and cannot find anything

online about them. They are black painted wood, 16 5/8"x13 5/8" outside, 1 3/4" thick, have only one dark slide

(newer plastic), the backs are two pieces of 3/8 plywood with felt on film side and have 3 spring strips that twist into

slots to hold them in place. The film sits back from the front by about 1". Do these sound like they were custom

made? I can't figure out why the back is in two pieces, but I am only familiar with 4x5. Any help would be greatly

appreciated.

If they are film holders, they may be used to achieve extreme film flatness, especially if pointing the camera down. This prevents film sag. I have some for 8x10 holders that sound like the same construction. I don't quite understand the film being 1" back. But by having the film against the glass with the back pressed against it, the film will be as flat as possible, and will not sag in the center. Used for vertical copy and product photography.

My description may have been a little confusing in my last post. The back side of the film would sit against the felt side of the plywood back. there was no glass in front holding the film in place. The ground glass holder was a seperate holder. I guess you could focus on the ground glass, then remove that frame and insert a film holder in its place.

That definitely sounds custom made. The only kind of holder I've ever seen that had felt in it was a contact printing frame.

Also, I've never seen anything -- film holder or contact printing frame -- that was made of plywood.

Could be some kind of custom glass plate holder?

These were part of a set up that was used to make fake magazine covers at carnivals while you waited. The camera was just a big box to hold the film holder and a Fuji 360mm lens at the front. This person then transfered the transparencies? to a Ilford Cibachrome-a Cap 40 processor and Ilford dryer. I just assumed she used a standard film holder and made the box camera to fit it. The spring locks on the backs are definitely factory made, as they are stamped out parts and professionally riveted to the plywood.

I stumbled upon some information tonight that leads me to believe that these are 11x14 contact printing frames. They look very similar to some new ones I saw on a website. Missing the glass, but in its place are some 1/8" thk black plexy 8.5x11 mats.