nikon 200 Q LENS ON A D300

joe_degennaro

Hi, just inherited a bunch of older Nikon lenses, and one is a 200mm Q lens...before i go and try and snap this on to my

expensive d300 or d200..is there something i should know..will it damage the camera...i have looked around and couldn't

find the answer but i did try on the 85 and 20 i got and they worked fine but they are not designated as a Q lens...thanks in

advance....

i have one of the nippon kogaku 200 f/4 lenses i picked up cheap b/c i wanted to play with it. i'm using it on a D300 and it is very interesting, if a bit challenging. as noted previously, it must be altered to mount (AI-d). i'm sorry i don't have it with me, or i'd post a snap of what it needs to look like.

of course, metering doesn't really exist, and the F-stop display will give you absurd numbers. use your instincts and image preview to get your settings. i've also found in my case that i need to jack the ISO to 640 to get adequate shutter speeds, and once bright daylight starts to fade, you can put the lens away.

lastly, i've read several discussions about the image quality this lens produces -- and it's reputed to be a dog. so i was very surprised to actually achieve some very nice images using it -- far surpassing what i was led to expect. perhaps sample variation, or how well it's been taken care of in the past 40 years...