Photography, art or craft? Half a$$ed poll.......

jorge_gasteazoro4

<i>AN ARTIST uses photography/craft to produce art </i><p>

Mark *, IMO this is the smartest response so far. Yet, if I understood the responses correctly, the concensus seems to be that if you are doing photography you can only be considered a <b>craftman</b> not an artist.<p>

Jim, glad you chipped in. Better late than never...:-)<p>

<i>ART! When it is. Mostly it isn't. Artists will make art no matter what tool they work with.</i><p>

Funny, Mark and you gave the same response almost back to back. Yep, like you I think of the camera as only a tool, which can be used for art or craft, depending on the person's aim. But as I said above it seems that regardless of the intentions it is not so. I am really surprised these are the feelings about photography that <b>this</b> forum has.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Jorge,

This question came up in a slightly different form not too long ago. I posted to that one and I'll post here as well. As I noted in that posting, there seem to be as many different opinions as there are those who post them, a little like questions concerning religion. Your question, "Photography, art or craft?" is simply answered: in itself? no, it is a mechanical-chemical process for taking pictures, for this discussion using a camera and film, like typing is a mechanical-chemical process for writing using a typewriter. To use either requires some skill, but the result isn't necessarily well-crafted, or a piece of art. Can using photography result in art; is there craft? Yes, I think the practioner can develop craft, and can produce a piece of art. Cameras have been used to produce well-crafted pictures, and on occasion, pieces of art. Currators and collectors have said photographs can be appreciated as art, and buy them, display them as such; people have even bought some of my prints to hang on their walls. It seems to me that most of the people who participate in this forum strive to be good craftsmen, with a desire to utilize craft to produce work that communicates their vision, ideas, and feelings to the viewer. I think we do it because we enjoy it, like John said, "its fun", and in some cases, because we are compelled to do it. But, I think in many cases, we also want for others to connect with our work, and to get something from what we produce. It happens on occasion, even if it isn't celebrated as "great art" or makes the cover of Time magazine. You produce a photograph that is something special. Others like your work, understand what it took to make it, appreciate the craft, and connect with your idea, or vision. So maybe the photographer produces a work of art? I like to think so.

It can be both or nearly just one or nothing. I suppose we have to discuss it picture by picture. As a German I 'm forced by law to stress my intense as an artist, because the photographers guild would take me to court if I 'd call myself a craftsman, whithout apprenticeship or master diploma.

�Is anyone else struck by the apparent irony that those who seem to argue most forcefully for photography being art also seem to be those who appear most caught up in the minutiae of the craft? As well as appearing to be most unaware of art history, art theory, critical art discourse and so on?�

These very same thoughts were bothering me for quite a while. This was a priceless comment.

My Dad once said: "Art is craft that's gone to college".

Someone once asked me the difference between electricity and electronics; I responded similarly that electronics is electricity that's gone to college.

ART = CRAFT + ARTISTRY

I can "perfect" my craft of composition, exposure, development and printmaking; that doesn't make me an artist. However, were I an artist, I would be using the full gamut of learned craft in application to the overall goal of art-making.

Okay, here's my latest theory:

Art is what photographers do when they live near either coastline; craft is what the rest of us in-landers do.

VanCleave's 1st Corralary: "The ratio of art to craft in any photograph is directly proportional to the proximity to the nearest high-priced gallery".

Or some such hog wash.

You have to recognize Irony, as it is similar to knowing the difference between Art and Tedium. I really like to know if you have any time for photography, because it seems you wouldn�t have any between making your own film and sitting on the computer fighting anyone who disagrees with you. You might as well learn Photoshop and that would be time much better spent!

If you are a devoted photographer, then you should share your Craft with others to enjoy.

I do want to see your work!

I seriously doubt that you are doing any photography at all. I guess you just like to play with your friends� cameras and try to sell yourself as a devoted practitioner. Now I realize that it is merely a fancy flight of your imagination! Let me know when you expose your first sheet of film and that how it worked out for you. Only when you are ready though, and above all send me a print!

Interestingly, you stated at the beginning that; �I promise to stay out of this one, I simply want to know what is the general feeling of this forum.�

What happened, can�t you sleep?

<i>I seriously doubt that you are doing any photography at all. I guess you just like to play with your friends� cameras and try to sell yourself as a devoted practitioner. Now I realize that it is merely a fancy flight of your imagination! Let me know when you expose your first sheet of film and that how it worked out for you. Only when you are ready though, and above all send me a print! </i><p>

LOL......you are amusing.

I really don't think "photography" can be classified as one or the other.

When I began, I (as I'm sure many of you did) started out as what i consider a "craftsman". I tried to find pretty subjects and take literal pictures, hoping I could accurately record them.

Then i realized that my pictures didn't convey any more emotion or provoke any more thought than the actual location did. i was simply using a craft to record what i felt and saw.

So, I did research after research and found that i could manipulate my camera settings to do slide montages, multiple exposure images, and more. I DO create! i create places and scenarios that can never be seen elsewhere. There is an element of emotion in my pictures that was not at the location when I shot the pieces of the compilation.

Can anyone argue that photographers who create entirely new visions on a light table or in the dark room are not artists?

I do feel that photography can be both, with some photographers leaning one way or the other. I have seen some beautiful artsy compositions where the lighting and exposure were so off that it killed the mood. This, to me, is photography is an art by a person who lacks skills of the craft. I have seen beautiful recordings of very pretty places. This, to me, is a craft...albeit by a very skilled craftsman.

My favorite photographs are a mix of the two, but that's not to say all photography contains both. However, in order to convey the art of photography, there is an inherent need to be skilled as a craftsman.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Melissa :-)

• 12 years later...

<p>Photography is a medium like paint is a medium.</p>

<p>Almost anyone can put paint on a surface just like almost anyone can capture an image with a camera.</p>

<p>Few can use their medium to create artistic masterpieces like American painter Asher Brown Durand or American photographer Ansel Easton Adams.</p>