Bowens Radio Slaves

angel eyes

Bowens Multi-functional Transceiver Pulsar Radio Slave

http://www.adorama.com/BZPRT.html

I have had some bad luck with my alien bees trigger/reciever. I want to replace them with something reliable that

should I have trouble with it I will be able to send it back (so no ebay). In my countless hours of searching I found

this. It's the only one I've come across to have all good reviews. So far everything else has had mixed reviews. I

even found a few complaints on pocket wizards!

It seems more likely that the HUGE number of Pocket Wizards that are in professional use every day are going to result in at least a few people that don't know what they're doing, have damaged them, etc. The Bowens units would only have sold in numbers that are a tiny fraction of the PWs, so you've got to take that into account when trolling the internet for opinions. A handful of credible complaints about PWs is strong praise indeed, considering how many are out there, how many are built into certain lighting systems, how many of them are now built into meters, and so on.

<br><br>

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Bowens. But there is definitely nothing wrong with the PWs.

I was in no way saying that there was! I've never used them but until tonight heard nothing bad about them!! They seem to be very sought after, reliable and tend to hold their value! I am not fortunate enough to be able to afford them though :-( Even used the cheapest I've found them was like $180 a piece.

The bottom line is anything electronic can malfunction some time! You must have pocket wizards. The Bowens were the only one's that one every site I've found them on they have had all good reviews. With the exception of one person who bought it and did not know they were not compatible with what she had.

I am not a big fan of the alien bees original radio slave thing, but mine still mostly works... In looking for a replacement, I saw that alien bees made a new one thats relatively inexpensive but likely to be reliable and well supported. Paul Buff had little control over the manufacturing of the chinese triggers he sold and hated it, so the new product was born, made in the USA and supposedly mroe quality controlled.

I think I am going to try a set of those before I spend way too much on pocket wizards.

That's good to know. The lady there didn't mention that when I was discussing the problem with her. She did tell me about the trade in deal they have going for the old receivers. Maybe I should try that first. I just assumed they were replacements for the old. She did not go into detail and I saw more money for a questionable product.

Pocketwizard remotes have a solid professional reputation. I use mine in all kinds of environments, particularly downtown Chicago which has an incredible amount of EMT. My PW's work 200 feet away and around corners but I have to hold my car remote 6" from the antenna.

That's not to say other units won't work, but I've never heard a credible report of problems with PW.

Again I'm not debating the pocket wizards one bit! The only reason I even mentioned them was b/c in all of my searching last night the Bogen was the only one that I found that didn't have a bad review on it. That is why I wanted to know if anyone had any or had used them. I was very surprised since I had come across a few negative review for the pocket wizards. I know there are TONS of them out there and they are well loved. I hope to own a set one day. :-)

Hi Jessica

I have six of the Bowens Pulsar units and I have not had any problems with them.

I have used them from outside a building to trigger strobes inside (Lighting a church stained glass window from inside

while shooting outside) I have used them for triggering strobes on the ground while in a helicopter (don't ask!).

I have found them versatile, useful functions of being able to separate strobes on to different channels etc.

I have used them with Bowens (Calumet) lights, AB's, Elinchrom and I have a couple of leads that allow me to trigger my

Canon 5D's remotley, so all in all pretty useful. Battery life is OK as well, or you can power them from a 3 volt mains

adaptor. Good feature is they can be either transmitters or receivers so there is a bit of built in redundancy. (I don't know

if this is the same as PW's)

I opted for these over PW's as they are easier to get hold of in the UK, PW's are less well known here although there are

a number of companies supplying them now.

I haven't tried PW's, but I am sure they are just as comparable... I guess it's a bit like the "PC or Mac" and the "Canon or

Nikon" question.

(OK, since you are wondering... Canon, Mac and Pulsars)

Cheers

Simon