Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4

terry tibble

I looked at the same things you are, and I found so many posts about how soft the lens is that I decided not to get it. Wherever I looked all I could find were people saying how horribly soft the lens is across the entire field, not to mention how bad the edge sharpness is. The sample photos I saw supported this conclusion. In short I found no one that would recomend this lens.

Like I said though this is not personal experience, this is the sort of "a friend of a friend said" sort of information, but what I found scared me off. The sigma 15-30 on the other hand gets good reviews, and there is a used one on e-bay now ending in a couple days (currently at $200 probably go for ~350). Don't worry it's not mine I was just taking a look at it myself.

In the end I think I'm going to go with the canon 17-40.

Hope the information I gathered can help you out.

Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 Aspherical ? I had it for exactly 2 weeks and in-btw had the sample exchanged twice. Both times gave me the same results. Results being the type of photos you see shot using those 28-80 series Canon consumer grade kit lens. If you're satisfied with it - go for it. I wouldn't touch the lens even if given to me for less than $100.00. The very fact that BOTH times I got the same TYPE of results show that it's the whole series of these lens - which are useless.

Check out the Tamron 17-35 for $299.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/303166-REG/Tamron_AF05C700_17_35mm_f_2_8_4_Di_Autofocus.html

It's underrated in my opinion. I got this to replace my Canon 17-40 which was horribly soft even after Canon tried to fix it. Much sharper, focues very fast. I use it primarily on my 1n and 5D.

Check out reviews on photzone.de. It may be in the Nikon section if not the Canon section.

Hi.

I think I shall have a look around for a good s/h Canon 17-35 f/2.8L.

As I said, I own a Canon 1N and a 20D, I would like to upgrade the 20D to a 5D, so when I get small amounts of money

to spend its a "oow oow! What to buy situation" lens or camera upgrade? I have a good 28-70 f/2.8L and a new 70-200

f/4L also a Sigma 400 f/5.6 for playing about with. My gut tells me to go for a good Canon 17-35/2.8L lens, and stick with

the 20D for a little longer, but I do pang for a new camera, which would mean no money left for a decent lens.

Sorry for the waffle. With your help I think I've made my mind up..... I think. lol

Its a Lens!

Thanks everybody

Rhodes