general travel questions for India

clarence_holland

Hello everyone. I see that many of you have a great deal of experience in travels and photography to India. I

am planning a trip there in the fall. I would like to ask several questions:

1. Has anyone ever traveled to Rajasthan with a tour company on one of their privately-guided tours? If so,

could you share your opinions? I am making an assumption that a privately guided tour would allow more time to

explore photographic opportunities than with the group; is this correct IN YOUR EXPERIENCE with tour companies?

2. I see that many of the recommended hotels are in the $400 per night range. Could you suggest quality hotels

with more local flavor, and not quite on the $400 per night level? We are going to India to experience the place

and culture; not to visit hotels!

3. Has anyone been to the Pushkar camel festival? If so, could you share your experiences there?

4. If anyone out there is from Delhi, I would like to know how and where in Delhi would be good to go and enjoy

the festival of Diwali, and perhaps meet some local people?

5. Thank you very much for your travel recommendations. Keep photographing!

Cdh

If you look at what they are offering, you are paying them to book you into hotels, cart you around, pick your restaurants. One thing to note is that they don't claim to be a photo tour, and it may not be in their plans to wait for you while you snap away. There is a difference between a photo tour and a tourist tour.

If you want your own room, this trip is wildly expensive. If you share, it's a bit more reasonable, but I'm sure they are making money on your rooms and food. I've been in India as a visitor several times recently - a top hotel can be found for far less than $400. For example, in Agra, they have chosen a very expensive hotel, but the Taj can be had for about 25% of the cost, Taj hotels are consistently good in my experience. Also, the same is probably true for the food - while you may choose not to eat street food, good dinner can be had for less than $10 in most places.

I would recommend doing your own hotels and flights and hiring local drivers with cars, they aren't very expensive and you can find good references on the net. Or you can go with a "make your own" trip, with a company like Show Me India, they do a personalized, custom tour of the same area you are looking at with top hotels for about 40% less, and you can control your days. Or you can take a more adventurous route and just wing it, which I have done in North Africa, Asia, Mexico, and parts of Europe without ever having a problem, using public transportation between cities and hiring drivers for getting to local places.

Jeff,

Thanks for the great advice and taking the time to respond. Very helpful indeed. The tour I was thinking about is a privately-guided tour with car, driver, and tour guide; supposedly, at the pace I want. But what I can't figure out is that the privately-guided tour, for the same time period and itinerary, is only $100 more total than the small-group tour. The economics don't make sense to me. And, in their brochure, they certainly do not spell out that all transfers, etc. are privately arranged. That fact, plus the fancy hotels, cause me some concern; perhaps needlessly.

We want to go and experience the culture; for the most part, we prefer travels on our own; however, this is our first time visit to India. That's why we thought it might be best to get a (private) tour introduction.

I want to follow up on your tips, though; they are very interesting. Have you been in Delhi during Diwali?

Many thanks,

Clarence

Having spent the month of January in India, I agree with Jeff's assessment. If you're not a seasoned traveller and/or you don't have a high tolerance for adventure and ambiguity, then it might be wise to let a company lead you by the hand a bit the first time. Definitions are also important here - one person's "experiencing the culture" is not necessarily another's. If you have the chance to make some friends, that is to me the most priceless experience of travel that opens up a whole new world of experiences and perspectives. This is hard, however, in an organized tour. Sorry I don't have more information about the specifics you requested. Have a fantastic trip, India is indeed a great place with a great culture that has many faces and can be appreciated on many levels.

Clarence

I lived in US for pretty long time before moving back to India. I understand your predicatment.

Let me tell you that you are clearly being ripped off in exchange to what you actually want. That said

since you are a first timer its better to have a safer and nice experience before getting your hands rough doing

a DIY. India welcomes many people in many ways. As always first impression counts. So keep your travel group and

go on with it as planned. If you have time then I have provided a travel agent number with email address etc. He

should provide you with all the info for you.He also does a one stop arrangement for you for everything.

Diwali in Delhi India is a very nice and noisy time to be around. Be prepared for lot of color and noise. Every

household burst fireworks and they can be raining from all sides. It very much unlike other places especially in

USA where one sits in a corner and watches the show from a mile away. This is not to scare you but to give you a

reality check. But the festivities and the joy you see at this time is probably very unique experience.

Be careful with your belongings especially when in crowds and do not venture around alone else you will become a

tourist victim for rippoff and loss of belongings.

Enjoy your trip to India and welcome.

The travel agent we used :- Savion Travel Services Pvt. Ltd. (info@india-travel-agents.com)

Neeraj Nauhwaar 9910161413 add a your international dial out code + 91 before this number

Madhavi

So far is rate of rooms is concerned it all depends whether you want star category hotel or comfortable stay hotel.If you want any three or four star categary than perhaps 400$ will also be less.But if you want a comfortable stay not star rated $ 400 per night is more than sufficient.

The main disadvanatage with star category is that you are always away from main photographic points. Instead if you are a photographer than dont go for star category in Pushkar or Delhi.I am based in Rajasthan and have been to Pushakr and Delhi many times. We can share more on my e mail. i.e. khan.furqan@rediffmail.com. For wide concverage of Pushkar and Delhi you need 7 days for each destination. Delhi is just 7 hrs drive from Pushkar.

FURQAN KHAN

In 2006 my pregnant wife and I visited Rajasthan. We had been to India many times before, using the public transport. Now that my wife was pregnant, we decided on renting a car with a driver. After some searching, we came in contact with RBS Travels in Delhi. We rented an Ambassador car, the classic Indian car, for 3 weeks, with a driver, for 800 US$. That included the use of the car for the whole trip, no extras for petrol or any state or road taxes etc. It also included a driver, no extras for his hotel or food.

Our driver (Mobeen) knew good hotels along the route and drove us there, should we not like it, we said we would choose one from our Lonely Planet. However, each hotel was excellent. In Jaisalmer however we choose to stay within the city walls. The hotels he choose were about 30 to 40 US$ maximum and all were immaculate and of excellent quality. Of course he could sleep and eat there for free of for very little money but that is how it works in India.

This is the link to the car rental company:

http://www.adoreindia.com/carrental.htm

If you plan to visit the Pushkar fair, you need to book a hotel for a long time in advance. Prices of hotels rise steeply for the duration of the fair.

You have been to India before you say. If I were you, I would buy me a lonely planet and a plane ticket and get in contact with RBS Travels. They pick you up from the airport. In Delhi we stayed at a very good hotel in the Paharganj area which was new in 2006, the "Cottage, yes please". It was clean, costs about 15US$ maximum for a very clean room and across the street are 2 very good restaurants. Most other hotels in the Paharganj area I would not choose. It is on the cinema side, in the street behind the Metropolis hotel, opposite the Malhotra restuarant.

With your own car you can go whereever you want, stop where and when you want and the driver can act as a interpreter. However, he is not a guide and thus he leaves you alone at your destination so you can explore on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

As Jeff has pointed out there is a difference between "photography tours" and tours touted as photography tours. I define the former as "getting people to the right place at the right time of day in order to make images that capture that elusive sense of place"

Photography involves seeing, and you can't see in a hurry. One needs to look, then see the wealth of photo-ops inherenet in a place, then make them in your mind (which is what seeing logically leads to). Set up your equipment and then make the image. This takes time - time that is just not available on a normal shot.

Another thing that you need to factor in is whether the photography tour you join is a GROUP photo tour or a private, customized one. With a group tour, one usually has a set itinerary and the number of diversions you could make would be limited and subject to a majority vote by participants (the final call being that of the tour leader). More flexibility is available on a custom photo tour, obviously.

I'd quite agree with you on "not going there to look at the hotels" - if your objective is travel and photography, you're going to spend as much time out there in the field, making images. Do keep in mind though that if it's a photo tour you sign up for, the early afternoon hrs are gonna mostly be indoors (on my workshops, I refer to them as INT - Instructor Nap Time). Of course you need to have a decent place to stay in, but creature comforts and glitter are not THE objective.

Regarding Pushkar, my two (actually several) bits:

1. Get there a few days PRIOR to the fair and leave the day before. Rates go INSANE once the fair actually starts, and it just ain't worth your buck. Don't worry about missing any shots; you'll more than get your share of shots during this period.

2. Camels aren't exactly the docile creatures they're made out to be. They have a really nasty side kick (yeah, you don't need to be behind them to experience one), have a habit of snarling, biting, spitting and what have you not. This behaviour is not just limited to the juveniles. And I swear to God, they're highly intelligent creatures, bordering on the wicked -- there'll be this camel posited just how you want it, a national geographic shot in the making and just as you raise your camera to eye level... bingo, he/she decides to move. This has happened one too many times to me on photo tours to be put down to accident. I have a strong feeling that camels have a knack for recognising a pro/serious photographer (I wonder how they do it) and spoiling the shot! And you don't need to be really close for them to spot you! Bah!!!

3. You'll have people sliding up to you from every nook and cranny offering to be photographed for a few rupees... avoid paying for your shots. It really encourages begging and destroys culture.

Hope that helps,

Besties,

nevilleb

I went to the Pushkar fair last year. We booked a hotel a few days in advance, we didn't get our first choice but it

was still no problem. When we got there we found lots of hotels with rooms available.

There is lots to photograph at the fair. Be sure to check the schedule of events so you don't miss the mustache

competition or camel races. You can probably skip the musical chair competition. One thing I didn't like at the fair

was the huge amount of photographers. Walking around the camps at sunset it is really annoying as they'd often get

in my shots (I'm sure I got in some of theirs too). Some of them had attitudes as big as their lenses. One guy stated

to lecture myself and some others on how we need to give money to people we photograph. We were all seasoned

travellers and didn't appreciate the patronizing tone. It is true that lots of people ask for money for photos. For most

of them it isn't worth it. Some people really don't like being photographed, probably because there are so many

photographers always trying to photograph them, they find it intrusive. There are also tons of scams around Pushkar,

from henna tattoos to flower blessing, so be careful. Anyway, it is an awesome place for photography so take lots of

photos and have fun.

planning a ready made trip before arrival in India is a waste of money. At each location you will easily be able to hire a car and driver who can be made aware of the fact you intend to stop often along your route to photograph local scenes. The driver will have enough experience to find decent accomodation at a fraction of the $400/night cost.

• 2 years later...

<p>I don't think you can form a view on whether a private tour is a good thing or not per se. I think it much depends on what company you use and what driver you get. A few years ago i did a "half & half" whereby I booked my flights, used their hotel recommendations, had a few days in Delhi alone and then a company provided car and driver in and around Agra where I knew I wanted to travel more widely. </p>

<p>It soon dawned on me that</p>

<ul>

<li>It isn't terribly easy to get around on your own. Much easier to hire a driver for a day and if it works out well arrange the same driver for the following day. You'll get more done .</li>

<li>It is important at the outset to get it very clear with the company and/ or driver what your priorities are. I was on assignment, I didn't want shopping, random tourism etc at all. I wanted to be taken efficiently from one site to another and for the car to be there when I came out. Sadly you cannot assume that what you tell the company will mean that you don't need to tell the driver. They will try hard to get you into shopping venues and you may have to be firm on this one. </li>

<li>Don't assume that you driver will be a guide. I'm not saying that a driver/guide arrangement is impossible, but far more common will be an arrangement where the driver will ( often without seeking your approval) stop on the approaches to a particular site and pick up a guide who takes you round the site and tells you about it whilst the driver stays with the car. In so doing the guide might well tell you about his sister's shop and become very disappointed when you tell him that you won't be going there. I found it impossible to photograph properly whilst with a guide, so if not in a hurry tended to walk round with the guide for a half hour getting my bearings and absorbing the history, then dismiss the guide and photoograph alone. It is perfectly possible for a tour company to provide you with a driver <strong>and</strong> guide but clearly that involves two people with you all day, two people to think about where they're eating and sleeping (neither of which will be visible or discussed in my experience).</li>

<li>If you enter any of the usual sites without a guide then expect to be propositioned strongly by people who would like to be your guide, and who may try and persuade you that you must have a guide, and between your car and the gates by beggars and people trying to sell you stuff. No way round this except to say that its better if you have a guide with you (but note the remarks about the photography being tougher).</li>

</ul>

<p>So a lot of decisions here depend on what sort of person you are and what your priorities are. If your prime objective is to buy your trip cheaply it is likely to be best, as others suggest, to book your own flights, hotels, and pick up drivers locally. On the other hand the sort of thing you'd miss is where your tour company rep is waiting for you at your hotel on the final day to say that your "express" train from Agra to Delhi is already hours late and possibly uncertain, so given that you're flying out tomorrow it might be best if you make the 4 hr drive to Delhi with your driver leaving soon. </p>

<p>Finally only you can decide at what level you want to pitch your accommodation. Its clear that you can minimise the cost of any hotel by examining the costs of booking direct as well as at costs via a tour company and I must admit there's a curiosity in me that says that even if I end up booking via an agent I will find out how much money (approx) I'm paying for the agent's services. But with regard to the standard of hotel its much more personal. I'm probably not good at budget range hotels in countries where hygiene is potentially an issue, and I don't regard my hotel choice as being terribly pertinent to the photography, although its location might well be. So I'm likely to make an upmarket vote if I'm spending my days in more challenging environments ; and more likely to make that vote if my wife's travelling with me. A final word of warning though - my 5* hotel in Delhi delivered bottled water with broken seals to my room, and my 4* hotel in Agra served me pink (undercooked) chicken. If you pay more for a hotel you might well get a better location and more comfort. It does not mean that you can be less vigilant. </p>

<p>Hello everyone!<br>

I thank each and every one who replied to my questions. Your answers were greatly helpful. We did indeed visit India in 2008 and had a most wonderful trip. We had our trip arranged by Travel Corps India and they listened to every request we made. Got some super photos. It is now 2011 April, and I am still trying to figure out what to do with all of those images! The trip was really special, and I again thank you all for your wonderful suggestions.</p>

<p>Best regards,<br>

Clarence Holland</p>

<p>I have traveled to quite a few countries in this world and it never occured to me to pay 400 dollars a night to sleep anywhere...The way I travel is<br>

A plane ticket, a bed in a hostel w/ breakfast = 30 € a night and that's in the expensive cities, Istanbul for example was 10€ a night, Vienna = 21€, Tirana = 6€ and I heard from a friend who has done extensive traveling in India that for 400 dollars, you could probably stay there for a couple of weeks. Trust me, my way, you really expereince the country and meet lots of great people...Enjoy your trip!</p>