coating rub in middle

s._c.

I just picked up a nikkor 210-w 5.6 with the 77 filter thread. I noticed there are two small ~1mm circular coating

marks with one in the middle and the other just about 1/4 inch away from the center of the front element. I have

heard that the front element of this lens protrudes out a bit and can rub against filters placed on it. Other than that, a

few specks of dust on the inside, the lens looks great. Does anyone have any experiences with this problem and

has it affected the images in any way? I am reluctant to return it since the price was very good. Thanks for your

experiences.

Something 1mm in diameter isn't going to screw you up too badly -- if at all (doubtful) -- unless it really catches the light and scatters it, in which case you might get a "micro" reduction in contrast.

In other words, just test the lens and see how it does. I'll bet the results will be just fine.

If the one mark is smack in the middle of the lens, it is possible it's from a filter. The second mark would be on the lens curve and not a rub from a filter. As Michael stated, you will probably never see a result of these marks in print. I have seen pictures from lenses that had major marks, and nothing showed up. I have a Schneider 210 that has glass very close to the front edge also. I bought an extension ring so my filters are a safe distance from the glass.

Well, I cleaned the front with some ROR and the second mark seemed to disappear, however the middle one is still

there. No gouges into the glass from what I can tell. I paid a little over $200 for it, so I think I will keep it and give it a

try. What step up ring would you suggest for this lens? Do you keep a UV protector on it most of the time?

Thanks.

Take a PLASTIC ruler or other straight edge and put the edge on the rim of the lens. Run it across the whole width and see it it "lifts" as you go over the center point. If so, definitely get an extension ring to lift the filters away from the lens and only use a lens cover that has sides longer than the depth of the sides of the glass elements so it rests on the shutter and rides higher than the glass. As said by others, you shouldn't have a light scatter problem with marks that small and if you you do experience any, it will be because light is directly hitting the lens. Use a shade and the problem will pretty much go away.

S.C., if you currently use 77mm filters, then you don't need or want a step up ring, as this will expand the thread size. You just need an extension ring (male to female thrd) that maintains the 77mm thread. www.2filter.com has them, they are called spacer rings. Personally I don't ever use UV filters. Just one more piece of glass to shield from glare and try to keep clean.

Erie, I am not familiar with the term "blackening" on lens glass. What is that process?

There are also some pretty thin and flexible lens caps around - a little push in the middle and...presto - a rub mark! I'd spend an extra twenty bucks on top of existing retail of any large format lens to have it supplied with a hard plastic cap with a slightly domed middle.

Sorry, I think it was 67mm on the front (sleep deprivation). I didn't measure the back yet. The caps I own from schneider are a little soft for my other lenses and the kaiser's are flat. I have to go to BH and find out what is available other than those two. Hope to get to try this lens out soon to check the results...seems pretty positive from what I've read here. Thanks.

I don't own any filters in that size yet. I have a graduated ND Hitech 0.6 in cokin P that I will probably use on this lens. Instead of an extension ring, I was considering a step up ring to prevent any possible vingetting in case of movements.