Hasselblad - 140-280 Variogon f5.6 Zoom Lens

I have seen one for sale on eBay Australia (Item number: 140244190704).

What is this lens like? Has anyone used one and can give their impressions. Is it big and clunky to use or OK, and

would it ever be practical as an outdoor landscape lens?

I can't afford this one (starts at $2500.00, no bids yet) but maybe one day down the track. There's a 60-120 there

somewhere too, but ditto as regards price, can't afford it roght now.

It looks big but most of it is just air.

It can be used handheld once you have got used to its size.

This lens gives excellent quality, sharp and lots of contrast.

It is the only lens for the 500 series and the 2000 series that was not supplied by Carl Zeiss.

The 140-280 is a Schneider Kreuznach lens.

I would not use it for landscape though, fixed focal length lenses are a better choice.

The 60-120 lens cannot be used with 500 series cameras because it does not have a shutter.

This excellent zoomlens, some reviewers stated the best zoomlens they ever tested, is for use with 2000 or 200 series bodies only. It is a Japanese lens built by Kyocera.

The 140-280 lens comes in three guises: the first is a "C" lens with compur shutter later an "F" model was available for use with 2000 and 200 series bodies this lens does not have a shutter.

The "F" version is rare only about 200 lenses were made.

The last and most desirable model has the prontor shutter and also has the "F" mode for use bodies with focal plane shutters from the 2000 and 200 series.

It is a bulky object yes. For the same price you can pick up a 150 and 250mm with money to spare for the movies and drinks afterwards. ... or a bundle of film, or both.

A mate who has this lens in addition to a typical outfit, says that it's not his favourite by far. He's a retired pro with years of experience in industrial product & location work, as well as being an accomplished portrait photographer.

I have this lens, but use it sparingly because of the bulk. The above observations are mostly correct, but this lens

definitely has some advantages, like the close up range (at the short end of the zoom), and mostly, because it is very

handy in situations where you don't have the ideal access to your subject, and the subject can be varying the distance. I

find it is a great portrait lens, and has a very pleasant rendering both in B&W and in colour. For my taste, it is not such a

great B&W lanscape tool, because of the filter diameter, and the need to shade the front element correctly. All in all, if you

buy a 150 or a 180 Sonnar and a mutar, you will end up with a more universal set up for the same money.

"Who built the 60-120 mm zoom"

The XPan lenses made by Fuji are all marked Hasselblad (apart from the original Fuji lenses for their own Japanese TX camera). The 60-120 is also marked Hasselblad. I have always believed it is a Fuji lens. It was made not that long before the Fuji XPan cooperation started, followed by the H series, also marked Hasselblad on the lenses.

This is prety mcg what I thought, thank you all for the answers, most informatie. I have a 150 lens, and will be looking to buya couple nmore but down the track a bit.

What's a mutar, Maek?

Jeff, is that a 1.4 teleconverter? How much were you thinking of for it? You can PM me or email to odille@onthenet.com.au