EF 28-135 Kit Lens Trouble

I know, it's a kit lens and since I'm just starting out it's what I'm going to have to work with until I can determine my

needs. However, I noticed an issue with this lens and I'm not sure if it's just me or if it's a bigger issue that would

require me to have it replaced. I'm new to this so I really have no clue why this is happening.

I've tried looking around for it but maybe I'm searching for the wrong string of characters. I'm sorry if this has been

touched on before.

The lens' images are great! But if I tilt the camera up or down past a certain point the front element on the lens

seems to drop out of or fall into the camera. For example, when at 28mm, if I point the camera towards a rock or

something the lens' front element will have a tendancy to fall forward and change my focal length. Or at 100mm, if I'm

shooting into a tree, the front element will have a tendancy to fall back into it self and do the same. This happens in

AF/MF and with or w/o IS. I'm worried what will happen when I put the hood on it or a filter if this effect will get worse.

Suggestions? Comments? Questions? Anything anyone can provide would be great!

I've had this lens for several years and use it with the added weight of the optional lens hood. I've never noticed this problem. This lens has been around quite a while and has the reputation of being one of Canon's best consumer zooms. It was not sold as a kit lens until recently (as far as I know.)

Ahhh! Zoom Creep! That's what it's called. Wow, when I searched for that term and the lens all kinds of Google stuff came up. Heh. Thank you for the correct term.

I'm glad it's not just my lens and nothings is ... wrong ... with it. I don't really mind holding on to the tube and the ring until I can afford some L glass or something. Thank you for the info.

Adam --> It zooms fine but loose, and it holds as long as I'm not pointing down or up by more than say ... 40-50 degrees. Beyond that mark is will creep in or out. I don't know if I can call it creeping because it does this rather fast. The element itself isn't ''loose'', just that the moving portion of the lens when zooming seems "loose" because it creeps. It's a minor annoynace at the moment.

I will look into having it tightened up and I'm hoping it'll last me as a good walk-around lens for some time as I would love to purchase something better (even tho this seems like a decent lens, minus the creep part) but the budget won't allow that for a bit.

I had that lens to go on my first Canon DSLR, a Rebel XT,because I was shooting Pentax film at the time and needed a Canon lens. Mine never did that and I've never heard anyone say it's a normal thing for that lens to do. I've read a lot of reviews and user comments about that lens over the years and never heard it mentioned before.

In it's day, it was considered, and still should, one of the better of Canon's consumer zooms. If your lens is acting that way, there's something wrong with it. You apparently just bought it, I'd take it back and tell them what's happening, it should be replaced. Possibly the zoom ring can be fixed but if it was me, I'd want a new one. It's not supposed to do that.

--> Geoff. It is a brand new lens but the mail-order store it was bought from was a complete hassle. I think, even if it is brand new, I'll avoid having to waste my time going to and from Canon (especially with a need for this lens coming up) with the whole 'It works just fine' routine. I have read up on the solution you posted and checked a number of places and it seems to be a solid work-around that'll last for some time. Thank you for posting that link.

--> John. I agree. Some would be normal. But this is to the point where at about 35mm it falls to 100mm. That is WAY out of spec if you ask me but due to some upcoming travel I am unable to wait for a Canon fix.

I think I'm gonna call them and see if they can do some sort of same-day service. If not, well ... time to go get more teflon tape! :) Thank you all for the help and advice.

I've have read about "zoom creep" with Canon lenses too often for comfort. I own an EF 28-135, and many other Canon lenses, but I would certainly have asked Canon to replace my lens if it suffered from such an unacceptable malaise. Note that I mostly shoot Canon, but I have a host of Nikon gear as well, and have the impression that Nikon seems far better at quality control in this regard.

I think it is ridiculous that any camera company can convince people who have spent $400.00 on a lens to accept something like zoom creep. Unfortunately, I have read reports of zoom creep on $1,200.00 Canon lenses. Thankfully, I have never encountered this lens malady. I suggest that anyone who encounters this problem with a lens from any manufacturer demand a fixed or replaced lens.

... back to my evening of disappearing blemishes in CS3.

Adam-this should not be happening (zoom creep or not). I have the same lens with my 40D and I have been using it quite a bit-I have not had any issues with zoom creep even when shooting down from a tripod. If I were you I would send it in immediately and let Canon determine the issue-they will make you happy because they want you to buy more lenses in the future. They may send you a brand new one and I doubt very highly that you will have the same issue.