To keep 18-55 Lens or trade in?

louise wilkins

I am getting ready to purchase an 18-200 lens for my D60. I'm not debating the pros/cons of that lens. My local

photography shop where I purchase my equipment has offered me $150 as a trade in for my 18-55. As the 18-200

will do everything the 18-55 will do, plus, do you see a compelling reason for me to keep the 18-55?

The main reason to keep the 18-55 is you may run into situations where the smaller size will be a blessing. I'm surprised the camera store would offer you that much on a trade. They usually won't go more than half what they think they can sell the lens for and I doubt they can get $300 for an 18-55.

Is your 18-55 DX the VR version?

You can get a new 18-55, non-VR for $120 and the VR version is about $200:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&ci=0&sb=ps&sq=desc&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&shs=Nikon+18-55&ci=12041&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that a camera store would give you $150 for trade in, even though it is the VR

one.

You should be able to get the 18-200mm AF-S VR for about $680:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/408518-USA/Nikon_2159_18_200mm_f_3_5_5_6G_ED_IF_AF_S.html

I sure hope that this store is not over-charging you for the 18-200 in order to give you a generous trade in for the 18-55.

If you have the 18-200, I would sell the 18-55. There is just too much overlap.

My lens is a VR. And I'm buying the new lens for the price I could find it at various on-line stores (plus, I don't have to pay postage!) - his offered price. I know this man well and respect him. I think he also knows I'm savy enough to have gotten pricing information before coming to him. His prices have always been comperable to on-line pricing, and I get his personal service on top of it. He stands by everything he sells.

Why he would have offered me $150 I have no idea, except it is a new lens having only gotten my camera set-up in April. The $150 discount on the new lens is very tempting and would allow me to pick up a couple of filters, too.

Louise, you can probably sell a used 18-55 VR for $150 privately as the warranty does not carry over. A store should give you no more than perhaps $100 for it. Perhaps they are giving you a break on purpose but hopefully they don't read this thread. :-)

Agree with Peter Hamm and Joe A. That sounds like a very generous trade in offer. I'm betting you won't use the 18-55 very often after getting the 18-200.

I also agree with your plans to buy accessories such as filters at the shop. Even tho' it sometimes costs more to buy locally we should support our local dealers whenever possible. They don't make much profit from bodies and lenses. Filters and accessories are their high profit items and it's a relatively painless gesture for us to support them that way.

the question is what are they charging for the 18-200 ?? sounds like a car dealer who gives you a generous trade on your

old car against "sticker" on the new one...

doubt you will ever use the kit lens but it dose make for a smaller more packable rig for social situations where the tele end

of the 18-200 would be of little use.....

the question is what are they charging for the 18-200 ?? sounds like a car dealer who gives you a generous trade on your

old car against "sticker" on the new one...

doubt you will ever use the kit lens but it does make for a smaller more packable rig for social situations where the tele end

of the 18-200 would be of little use....

My camera store is selling it to me for $670, which is what I've found it for on line. I think he's dealing to keep me coming. I've up-graded every other year for the last 5 or 6 years, am in there frequently, and have taken lessons from him. I have faith in him.

And I think your comments have made me sure that I'll trade in the 18-55. The 18-200 wasn't all that much larger, and if I really want something smaller for some reason, I have my Olympus 10x p&s to use.

Thanks again for all your responses. These forum posts are such a wealth of knowledge. Wish I retained even 1/4 of what I read.

They're offering $150 for an 18-55VR? I'd take the money and run! If you want one again you'll probably be able to find one for less than that used. You can get Version 1 and 2 18-55's for less than $100 used, and awhile ago I picked up an 18-55VR straight off of a D60 kit for $135.

Okay, I have my new 18-200 in hand - or on camera - and am very happy with it. I was out with it this weekend

and have been looking at my pics and they're what I was looking for. (Unless I had more of a zoom - that will

have to come later I'm afraid!) I ultimately ended up getting $125 for the 18-55 lens, so price was good for me.

Thanks for your opinions. They helped me in my decision.!