1/2 circle in image

george_smith15

With flash, the shutter is fully open when the flash fires. With long night time exposures, any leak through a shutter curtain makes no significant difference to the total exposure. With a shutter speed of 1/4000th used in your shot, the light leak will be very evident. The shutter curtains are moved by levers that swing in an arc: think of the blades of a Venetian blind being bent by someone peering through - this is what happens to the shutter curtain as the lever attachment points wear out. The shutter needs replacing.

I can't imagine why changing from inside to outside will cause the shutter to fail, though I can imagine that shutter failure might (at random) coincide with moving from inside to outside. It would take a very rapid extreme temperature change to cause metal expansion/contraction sufficient to cause damage, such as dipping the camera in liquid nitrogen.

There is no question in my mind that this is the pending shutter failure mentioned by James. I had the exact same

problem with my 30D a little over a year ago. Here is the link to the post I made about it at the time, including links

to example photos.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Kisc

I wound up sending the camera to Canon to have the shutter replaced. It has been fine since. Hopefully you still

have some of the refurb warranty left. A shutter replacement is a bit over $200, I think. Don't put it off too long before

you get it fixed--I read about one individual who waited and later suffered a catastrophic shutter failure, blades

mangled, etc. It required a much more expensive repair than the simple shutter replacement.

This seemd to be a fairly common problem with 10/20/30 D series cameras. Hopefully, Canon have improved the

shutter reliability with the 40D.