Lens recommendations for 4X10

bob_prichard

Bob, I'd think a 150 that covers 4x10 would be tough, probably only the Super Symmar XL unless you want to front mount a packard or other shutter, then the Hexanon 150 GRII would cover as well.

For the 210 the list expands quite a bit, a Symmar will cover, as will the 210 Angulon, and many others.

At 300m the list is pretty long, I'd try KEH as suggested in the mailing list, sometimes you find some good deals, I buy Bargain grade lenses from them and so far have no problems with any of them.

Any lens that covers 8x10 will obviously cover 4x10. Besides the current 150 Super-Symmar-XL, there are other recently discontinued 150 mm (or nearly 150) lenses that cover 8x10, e.g., 150 Nikkor-SW, 155 Grandagon-N, 165 Super-Angulon.

It looks like the 150 mm Apo-Sironar-W and Super-Symmar-HM just miss covering 4x10, having an image circle of about 10 inches. Too bad, because they would be smaller and lighter.

I'd think that with this kind of camera you'd want to avoid a heavy weight lens, and as Ralph points outs, since you can't use a Copal 3, the 300 mm f5.6 plasmats are excluded. For 300 mm, that leaves lenses like the Fuji-C, Nikkor-M, and 270 or 305 mm G-Claron. All are excellent lenses.

Use sources: MPEX, KEH, eBay (with caution).

It will be hard to find, but the Nikon 150/8 SW will work as will the 120 SW already mentioned (and the 120mm can

be found new in box for under $800 at B&H). If you are willing to rack out the focus a bit, some other lenses not

recommended by Fotoman will also work since coverage increases as you focus closer. However, I think the Nikon

SW's are probably your best best on the short side, with the 120mm a better choice given its immediate

availability and that 210mm is your next step up, although I'm sure someone has already noted that the ideal

progression would have been 120mm, 180mm and 300mm, but a wide coverage 180mm will be hard to find cheaply.

Hi Bob,

From the standpoint of "normalcy" the diagonal would be about 260mm (10.2"). For a tessar type lens such as a 250mm Comm. Ektar or 6.3 Caltar this would be fine. A good good wide field plasmat type such as a Symmar, Sironar, or S Caltar should be OK at 180mm, but certainly a 210mm.

Lynn

• 2 months later...

what am i missing? i am wanting a wide for a 4x10 view camera but i looked at the specs for the nikon 120 SW and it says it has an image circle of 200mm, not nearly enough for 4x10 at around 270mm?

actually i want it for a cut down portion of film to use in a whole plate right at the moment (about 3.75x8inch or 8.5 inch depending which way i slice the film) but intend on using 4x10 in the future so i was trying to choose a lens that would be suitable wide/panorama for both.

i was considering my best choice was the super symmar 5.6/150mm..the super symmar 110mm deosnt seem to have any room for movement

Nikon's specs for the 120 mm f8 Nikkor-SW are an image circle of 200 mm at f8 and 312 mm at f22. So if you are willing to stop down, it will cover 4x10 and even 8x10.

Nikon Europe has a PDF brochure with info on the Nikon LF lenses: http://www.europe-nikon.com/downloads/A==/DaJquIALgFokITW7BKBJljEuk5l_dswC/dzvzlPMEg86oR0mjLW0AEm4PZQyypTiF/P3wMIAue7Uqou5UJnRdEf/LF_lenses_141A.pdf