Rolleiflex 3.5F KEH Bargain Condition?

patrick_j.

hello --

has anyone ever purchased a bargain grade rolleiflex from keh? what can i expect for the money vs. one that is in ex or ex+ grade? is it

worth-while spending the 400 on it, or better buy loads of 120 film? ;-) i am going to use the camera a lot, rather than as a collectors item.

So i am leaning towards bargain as i might be less "worried". any thoughts?

thanks!

I agree with Ronald. The worst that happens is you decide the "Bargain" is too rough and send it back within 14 days and get an EX. More likely, you'll find the "flaws" of the "Bargain" grade are only cosmetic - not optical or mechanical - and will use it often.

Go ahead....the worst that could happen is that you have a problem in a few weeks (could happen with the EX+ too) and you've saved enough money to get it CLAed....and then it will work like new. I've bought a number of Bargain rated pieces and they've all been perfect. They are pretty conservative.

I bought a BGN Rolleiflex T from KEH last month, and had to send it back because the bayonet ring fell off, the shutter

speed was too tight and incidentally was unscrewing the lens... This was from a camera dated from the 1950s, based on

the serial number.

Rolleis are mechanically complex cameras, so if you buy an old one, you risk running into some troubles and potentially

expensive repairs. If you're willing to spend a bit more, buy directly from Henry Scherer. He is an authorized Rollei

repairman, and what he sells is probably the best you can get.

In my case I was rather ticked off by the broken Rollei since I had to spend quite an amount for shipping back the

camera across the border from Canada.

Thank you all for your comments. The suggestion to contact a repair guy directly is a great one. I will definitely try that and

see how much he wants. If that doesn't work out I will probably get one from KEH and keep you posted.

thanks!

Patrick,

Not sure if you will need him, but if you need help or questions n any Rollei TLR talk to Krikor at http://www.krimarphoto.com/index.htm This guy I believe is on the Rollei site for factory specs when it comes to Rollei work and sales. Its in NJ and he sells them as well. I've sent a few things to him and he treats the Rollei's like they are his children. tell him you are looking to buy, cant hurt.

Santo