My nephews first birthday Critique PLZ :)

tolik_p.

Hi all, i normally dont post critique requests but i htough to give this one a shot with you all.

On June 8th it was my nephews first birthday, and our family went to a park to celebrate. The shot was taken with

Canon EOS-1D Mark III at f.3.5 1/2000 sec. with 70-200 2.8L at 105mm.

Litte PP and this is what i got, so let me know what you think.

I didn't mind the brightness in the background, or even the darkness around his face, but the kiddie seat WAS distracting. Maybe it's just because I'm looking at both versions at the same time, but "fixed" image makes the lighting on his face look unnatural. I would recommend leaving the darkness around the face, but keeping the background muted and cutting out the kiddie seat.

Overall, though, I love the picture. Good job. :)

Often when shooting a face that is backlit (which from the shadows being cast looks like the case in this image), the use of fill flash will help balance out the light and fill in the shadows. Sometimes and with some lenses, you can use the built-in flash to fill in the shadows. This shot of a cat was backlit and the fill came from the built-in flash before I had a hotshoe flash for my camera. The 28-135mm lens with which I was shooting that day didn't block the built-in flash. However many lenses, especially with large lens hoods, do block the light from the built-in flash.

By the way, I did a much better job shooting kids when I was younger. I am an old guy with arthritis and my joints creak and ache when I try to squat down. However, squatting down (not shooting down) is the best way to photograph both kiddies and animals.<div>00PuA1-50887684.jpg.90812041996c3b663741ca83a4651664.jpg</div>