New to MF Starting with a Yashica-A

jeff_bateman

I don't have any clue about this camera or medium format .I was hoping i could get some info about it.From what i've been reading it seems to be a decent camera for a beginner.It has yashikor lenses.Where can i find an owners manual, also how old is this thing? Thanks, Jeff Bateman

Jeff:

As I recall, the "A" model was sold in the early to mid 50's. It is a very basic TLR with a 3-element taking lens. The lens should give decent sharpness if stopped down to f-11/f16. It would be a good beginner camera to try out MF. I would not pay more than $60-80 for it depending on its condition. If you decide that it is not your cup of tea, you can resell it for what you paid for it. I don't know if the collectors want this camera yet and as a consequence started to run up the prices.

One of my favorite camera's. A few years ago, I bought my first one, despite other photog's telling me the camera wasn't a "serious" shooter, or much good for anything. I glad I didn't listen! Your Yashica A takes 120 film and produces a 2-1/4" square image on the negitive. I've shot B&W, chromes, and color print film with this camera, all with good success. Although Gene said the vintage was early-to-mid-50's, I've heard the camera was released in 1959, and once sold for only $19.95. Owners books aren't really nessessary after you've used the camera a bit (really easy) but if you must, I'd try Pacific Rim (call and speak to them in person) or eBay. Best used with a hand held meter, set your f-stop, and shutter speeds, cock the shutter with the little lever next to the taking lens, and fire away. Low light and a wide open iris can give this little camera trouble, but there is a "X" flash connector to help. Also, the ground glass is a bit dim on mine, but for outdoor and causal shooting, it's great. Good luck and enjoy your Yashica A!

Jeff, there are (thank God) no batteries in your Yashica A. Of all the camera's I have (over 30 now) only one of them (a Pentax K1000) has a battery. I hate em'! Your right in saying the flash shoe is cold, and the "X" is for the pc connector cable. I use a Sunpac 555 with a "L" bracket, and fasten the camera to that. It works great. I also found that (with all my TLR's using this flash and bracket) if I don't mount my lens hood, the print tends to look a bit "washed out" on the flash side. I couldn't find one used for my A (no bay mounts) so I made one out of aluminum on my lathe. Works great!

• 4 years later...

I too am new again to the Yashica-A. I owned one and the Mat 124 in the late 60s and early 70s. Remember some about it, but have one major question. Where/how do set the film speed? I have a handheld light meter. Can't remember what speed is best for it. Have looked at the Butkus site with the manual, but need a little guidance on some of the settings to start. Can adjust from there after getting the first roll or two back.

d