Wide aperture and fill flash - Is this possible ?

terry_o_connor

Heres the scenario. I want to shot a portrait shot outdoors during the day with a

wide aperture (1.8 or so) and also a bit of fill flash. Im limited by my 500/sec flash

sync speed if i try to do this which forces me to use a smaller aperture.

Is there a way around this ?

Ive heard that by covering 2 of the contact points on the flash I can get higher sync

rates but is this safe ?

I have a D70 with the small sb400 flash unit.

Many thanks - Terry

It maxes out at 1/500th and i don't believe is has high speed sync like some of the newer models... Go with the ND filters and experiment, obviously, you'll want to lock the ISO as low as possible. This is where the ISO 50 of the pro canon cameras come in handy, why can't nikon give us ISO 50 (even a fake one would be nice)...

Have fun shooting

If you tape the ttl contacts so they don't work, your D70 will sync at unlimited speed as long as the flash duration is short enough. I didn't have any problems. You can also use a non-ttl sync cable. But, then you have to be able to manually set the power on the flash, and I'm guessing you might not be able to do that with the sb-400 (perhaps in a menu on the camera? I know you can manually set the power of the built in flash). This also works on the D40 & D50. On my D50 I can sync at 1/4000 with my SB-24 at 1/16 power. It's a very cool feature of these cameras.

Also, you can sync faster than 1/500 with radio triggers, but there is a delay that they introduce that limits you to something like 1/1000. Depends again on the flash duration. You can still sync at faster speeds, but you start to lose light.

<b>"...My D300 only goes to 1/250th..."</b>

<p>

The D200, D300, and D3 all have the auto FP flash feature (with an external flash - SB800, SB600, and SBR200 controller) that allows the flash sync speed to go all the way up to 1/8000 of a second although with a lower output.

<p>

The onboard flash can be used up to 1/320 of a second in this mode.

<p>

See page 288 and 289 of your owner's manual.

Like Rob says, tape/isolate all pins in camera hot shoe, except the central sync pin, and you can sync flash at any speed you want, e.g. 1/2000 sec, etc.

Nikon brand flash, when recognized by D70, reduced camera shutter to 1/500 sec and slower.

Alternatively, use a much older flash, that is not a Nikon latest brand, and no need to tape any contacts. Metz 60 or 45 models, Sunpak 555, 522, Vivitar 283, 285, monolights, etc, all work with D70 at any shutter speed. If shutter is faster than the flash discharge time at the power ratio used, obviously you will record less light, but entire sensor frame will be exposed evenly with a single shot of flash, (no FP gimmick needed).

Practical max speed sync limit on radio triggers is 1/250 sec. on focal plane shutters cameras, or even on central iris leaf in-lens shutters, contrary to published data delays that would make you believe you could sync faster.

Thanks Russ.

I knew about the FP mode. It really does not help when I need fill flash.

So I use ND on the lens and my SB800 at close to full power. It takes a lot to

balance out mid day sun in Florida. A lot of the time I am also trying to get light in

under a hat while the subject is sitting on a horse.

And the little flash built into the camera is good for giving my subjects red eye and

thats about it.