Helping a friend at their wedding - Advice Needed

todd_phillips4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to all that offered their advice. The wedding went off without a hitch, well they did get hitched. They are

on their honemoon and I have just over half the photos edited and posted to my gallery. I am fairly happy with the

results. The sun cast some brutal shadows but at the same time was very warming. I shot most shots with the sun

at my back while keeping my shadow out of the shot. There were a couple shots into the sun which came out with a

nice dramatic effect. I should have tried some more of these. My camera was set to program mode 100 ISO shooting

RAW/JPG basic. SB-800 was set for ittl-BL. I tried to keep it automatic but I wish I would have experimented with

some manual flash shots, bumping the flash a few stops. There were also some good uses for some Rear sync after

the sun got below the hills (after the wedding ceremony). Enough about the could of''s and should of's. I lacked

confidence and didn't experiment for fear of screwing it up.

Here are the results: The first 4GB of shots are posted to the gallery and I am looking for some honest critiques from

you all. I still have about 3GB left to edit and post but these shots cover the cermony and some posed shots of

family friends and kids. Very informal beach wedding with the bride and groom both wearing black shirts and cacki

shorts.

I am looking forward to reading what you all have to say. I enjoyed shooting this. It is not what inspired me to pick up

a camera (nature and landscape) but it was fun to do.

http://awexotics.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4

Thanks again

Hi Todd:

Thanks for coming back and posting the results. You might find that this thread is now dead and it will be necessary to begin another.

I think it was a good idea, playing it safe, as that harsh sun would have stuffed up many photographers, but, by playing it safe you have more than generally nicely exposed faces. You have captured the moments, and I am sure your friends will be very happy.

Some of the portrait images were shot 3/4 length. IMO, a 3/4 shot is a very difficult shot, with the Subject(s) standing.

In the image below, I have kept the original 6x4 ratio in your version, but just cropped the original 3/4 shot tighter.

IMO the image presents better this way, and is easier on the viewers` eye.

There are a few others 3/4 shots which could be improved by a tighter crop, whilst still maintaining the beach view.

WW<div>00PwUJ-51675884.jpg.2a31fa62475f3346dc8de16112c174da.jpg</div>