Exposure time with a Rebel XT

Hey!

I have a Canon Rebel XT with the basic lens that comes with when you buy it. I

would like to take night pictures and manually control the exposure time of the

picture. When I go on the "manual" mode the longest exposure time proposed is

30sec. I would like to press the button to open the lens and start exposure, and

then press it again 2,3 or 5 minutes later to close it and stop the exposure.

I guess it should be possible to do that with a Rebel XT... do you know how?

Thanks!

Pierre-Luc

Set the camera to "bulb" and get yourself a wired remote trigger. You push the button on the trigger to open the shutter (and slide it to keep in place), and then release it when you want to close the shutter. You can technically do the same thing with the button on the camera, but good luck keeping the camera still with your finger on the shutter.

You can also set the camera to "bulb", let the camera expose for what amount of time you wish, and when that time have expired, you can cover the lens so no light get through - I've used a thick piece of black plastic, and when that covers the lens, click the shutter button again to finish the exposure.

I've done this a few times before getting a remote. It works, but it's much easier with the remote :)

Jens Peter.

Google the Canon code for their remote and you can find apparently identical knock-offs for a fraction of the price. If you are going to do this sort of thing a lot, the Canon one might be of better quality, but otherwise you can save a bunch.