reverse-mounting vs lens stacking vs close-up lens for macro?

phototransformations

I'd like to play around with macro photography and, before I spring for a macro

lens, want to experiment with reverse-mounting my 50 1.8 on my D80 or on my 55-

200. I also have some old Tiffen close-up lenses that should fit either lens.

I'm wondering which of these three methods is likely to yield the easiest-to-

handhold results when photographying, mainly, bugs and plants outdoors, which I

intend to be my first forays.

I have done some reading on the reverse-mounting method and have the correct

adapter, am waiting for a 52-52mm coupler.

Thanks for any tips on these particular methods!

- David

My 2 cents, I would do it in this order:

1. Put on the close up lens you already have is easiest. When you are comfortable using it, switch it to a Nikon 3T or 4T (buy used).

2. When you are getting good with macro then try reverse the 50 with a BR2A and put it on an M2 or PK3 extension ring to increase magnification.

3. When there is a rainy day and you are bore to dead and really have time to waste, reverse the 50 on the zoom.

Reverse only allows one fixed magnification that is pretty high.

What does work really well for me is my 55/200 VR with 52/55 ring and Leica Elpro 3&4 close up lenses. These are two element cemented designs and I lose no quality. A deep metal shade screws into the front. B&H sells them.

I am sure Nikons would work without the adapters and produce equal quality, but I already owned all the other stuff. Tiffens are cheap single element glass.

I also put a bellows on the camera with Leica to Nikon adapter and use 65 to 200 mm lenses on it. Since focus is achieved by moving the camera in macro work with any set up you have, all you need is to set the reproduction ratio and focus on the ground glass.

There was a very informative thread and lively debate over this within the past few weeks here in the Nikon Forum. Perhaps someone can remember the link to it.

Reverse mounting a lens can be a very economical way to get good results in macrophotography. Some 50mm "normal" lenses are well suited to this use. This can offer certain advantages over inexpensive closeup diopters, since primes are often multi-coated and offer the ability to control DOF and minimize light falloff via the existing aperture ring.

A good closeup diopter can be the handiest way to get into casual macrophotography. I like being able to retain autofocus for quick handheld closeups where tripods are prohibited or impractical (typical of crowded places like botanic gardens and butterfly exhibits during holidays). Helps to travel light too since a closeup diopter weighs almost nothing in the bag.

There's also an extension tube, my least favorite solution but popular among many folks. I do occasionally use an older M2 extension tube with various lenses.

A dedicated macro lens is arguably the best solution, but there's nothing wrong with the other techniques. (I say "arguably" because some diehard macrophotographers wouldn't think of using anything other than a bellows, so there's no single correct way to enter this field.)

The easiest is the dedicated macro lens. Add tubes when necessary. Then add tripod and/or flash.

The 50mm will only get you closer (maybe), but there are so many limitations that 1:1 (in this focal length) is just plain not worth it. To gain more magnification you need wider lens, like 28, 24, etc, anything that has the same filter thread as the reverse ring adapter. See here,

http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/macro_adapter.htm

- Sergey

My advice is to buy a used macro lens. It is buy far the most most effective and

convenient way to to accomplish macro photography. If you find macro photography

less exciting than anticipated, you can always sell the lens and recuperate your

investment. Also, I would suggest using a tripod for true macro photography, if

sharpness is important to you.