Best solution for off-camera flash

booray

I'm looking for a good off-camera flash solution and could use a little perspective.

I'm starting to shoot more location stuff. Currrently, I see myself using off-camera

flash for outdoor portraits and maybe some wedding stuff. I currently have a full

studio setup with radio trigger and a 580EX. So, the choices are:

1. Buy a portable power supply and carry a studio light for an outdoor portrait

shoot. Upside: Will make me capable of setting up 5 lights anywhere I want.

Downside: Not sure I really need all that at this point. An outside portrait shoot I

just need one light and maybe a reflector. Cost: about $300

2. Buy a Canon remote trigger st-e2. Upside: can control the remote flash from the

camera as well as any future add-on flashes. Downside: Some people have

reported LOS problems. I will probably end up buying a second flash eventually

anyway. Cost $300-$400

3. Buy a 430EX Flash. Since the Canon flashes remote trigger, I could set my

580ex off camera and my 430ex on, then remote fire the 580ex. Downide:The only

problem is I'm not sure if you can fire the off-camera without firing the on-camera

too. Also, I'm guessing you don't get the same control over the off camera flash

that you do with option 2. Upside: Cheaper and gives me a backup flash in case I

have a failure with my 580ex. Cost: $250

What would you do? I'm leaning towards getting the flash because if I shoot

weddings I will need a backup anyway, right? Still, for $299 I could just get a

battery back and take a strobe....

Well you could always grab a set of pocket wizards or elinchrome remotes and fire the flash that way - the elinchromes are really nice and cost half as much as the pw's - the only downside with teh 580 is that it doesn't have a built in pc cord plug in so you have to buy some adaptors - all cheap. The upside to radio is that it's not line of site...you can fire it up to 150 feet or more...

If it were me, and just me I am talking about...I would use the 580EX and get the 430 or another 580 for the back up.

With those two flashes and a selection of light modifiers such a shoot through umbrella or a Lastolite EZ Box(I really like the EZ Box), some snoots, grids, reflectors and defusion screen, you can do some really cool stuff.

I would relie on the radio triggers befor I would Canon's IR system(yes I know it is not truely IR). Unless you want to use Radiopoppers, but that is very expensive if you do not already have an ST-E2 or a master flash. Something to look into for down the road.

If you find your self in a postion to do a really big job and need the studio lighting, go rent a Honda generator (can be carried in hand/I mea for portrait session where you can get away with the noise, not a wedding!).

For weddings, unless you are working with an assistant or two to help set things up, there is no time for messing with studio strobes. Useing your 580EX is the best bet. This is Event style photography and this is where wireless TTL can really shine be it IR or RadioPoppers. I would stick with one falsh on a lightstand with a simple modifier and Radio trigger. Most weddings are very tight schedualed and most of the folks do not even want to have their photo taken so messing with lights (again, unless you have an assistant that you can trust) is not going to fly. You have to get the shot in 10 Seconds and move on and on and on. That is why TTL is so valuable but if you understand you lights you can do it with manual control.

I hope some things in all that helps. The folks in the wedding forum could give better insite as I shoot wedding as a side job, but I shoot alone and get a fair amount of return buisness and referals.

Jason

Boorey:

Here's my setup. Works very well in the field and is so portable.

580EX II, 430 and ST-E2, 2' cord.

You should get the 430, ST-E2 and cord all for about $500.

I either use the ST-E2 as master or use the 580 with the 2' off camera cord. I can even hold it in my left hand and one hand the camera. The 430 is remote.

You can do ratio's either way, very flexible. I also through in some cheepo optical slave lights when I need to blow out a background.

I do a similar technique you are looking for for my location and wedding shots. I have a Canon 5D, ST-E2, 2 580 flashes and a 430 flash. Using the ST-E2 on the camera, I can wirelessly have a main/fill/background (or hairlight) lighting scenario. I would recommend getting 2 580's or a 580 and a used 550 flash to begin. This will allow full diversity of features and the same power for the flashes. Later you can add a 430. I would add the 430 last for a couple reasons. It has one stop less power than the 580/550 units, it can't accept an auxilliary power pack, and can't act as a controller (only a slave). I like using the ST-E2 as this allows me to get the main flash off camera and set slightly to the side. If you don't have the ST-E2 you could bounce the flash as an option. Good luck

Great advice all, thanks. By the time I was finished typing the question I pretty much had an answer: Spend the money now and be done with it. So, I think I'm just gonna spring for a 580EX II and use my current 580EX off-camera. These two flashes along with a reflector and a shoot-through umbrella should get me enough for the average outdoor portrait...<div>00PllU-48055984.thumb.jpg.4c72151ec6fd2d6d2680de3558a2e2e4.jpg</div>

Sounds like you are on the right track. I would add that you should look into a Gary Fong C4 Lightsphere II for the 580 EX II. I was very skeptical until I started using one. You will also find more day to day uses for it. I would prefer two 580's for increased output and cycle time, but currently use a 580 EX II and 430 EX now with good results.

Well, I'll be the dissenter. First, your portrait above would not have been better with off camera flash. The existing light was already even, so just a bit of fill flash worked great. If you used off camera flash, you would have gotten shadows on the tree, since they are pretty much right up against it.

Second, I prefer manual flash for off camera flashes. ETTL flash metering, including the ratios, are not as ultra consistent as manual flash. You can run the flashes in a Canon wireless sytem on manual, but then the consistency of firing is still there. I have heard the system is somewhat tricky. If I were to invest in the Canon wireless sytem, I would be including a set of Radiopoppers in my cost calculations. I actually have an ST-E2 but only use it for focus assist when using my Metz 45-CL4.

Third, I shoot weddings too and use a pair of Sunpak 120Js on manual, with compact stands and umbrellas. I can set them up and break them down in two minutes. I use them in conjunction with an on-camera 580EX or Metz 54MZ4-i, in ETTL and/or auto thyristor. I use them for outdoor portraits too, and again, find the ultimate control is with manual off camera flash where I control the ratios.

I too use mostly manual flash. I also agree that this photo would not have been helped much by the off camera flash unless you had to do lots of red eye retouching which I didn't see you mention above. I would suggest going with radio transmitters, though. There are many brands to choose from. I have had way too much trouble with IR devices and have had next to none with radio. I will probably never choose to rely on anything IR down the road, either.