Sigma 10-20 vs Tokina 11-16

carl_becker2

When you post your message, you should come across the option to upload any image - prompting you to select an image from your computer. You may want to try it again. I have the Sigma 10-20 which amazes me with clear results every time. I chose it as I needed a wider focal range.

Seeing test images never hurts, particularly if one can discern significant differences at similar focal lengths, etc. I really don't think these are "completely different lenses." They both are wide-angle zooms and their ranges overlap. Yes, one has to determine whether or not the extra speed of the lens is needed, as opposed to the wider range of the Sigma. But how each performs within that range of overlap is certainly of interest.

That said, keep in mind that if you upload images to the forum, these are quite low-resolution because of the small size and 72 dpi. Only really huge differences between lenses will show up. For lens tests it might be better to have high resolution images at a different website, with just the link being posted here.

Carl, I appreciate you taking the time to do this but I would add one more thing........

The devil is always in the detail. Instead of simply posting low res shots, it is helpful if you include 100% crops. A fire hydrant might not be the most exciting image to test but it does have some nice features, i.e., detal and color.

Hope you work out the image posting problem.

Bruce I agree that details are important and for me that is the issue and goal. I use a tripod to take me out of the issue. I used aperture priority and still got different exposures in the 10 mins of picture taking. Shot RAW converted using

Bibble Lite. IMHO this new Tokina is very much in the ring with the others including the Nikkor. I did not buy it for the f2.8. I was hoping the limited range would allow better overall design and preformance. If Nikon made a DX 14mm f4 I would have bought that instead, provided it was superior.

I have the Tokina 12-24mm and have some shots to process and post of all three with the tripod in the same place.

Carl, thanks for posting the images. Now that you have figured out how to do this, a little thing to keep in mind for the next time.....

The images will show up in the post (instead of as a link) as long as you include something in the Caption and they meet the size requirements.

And yes, good test. It would be nice to see the Tokina 12-24 compared with both of these lenses.

Carl.... Nice work.... That boring subject of yours worked out pretty well, huh?

I know you guys don't shoot wide angles wide open. Well, I was trying to shoot my Tokina wide open. I din't get good results because it was noon. :) What I was trying to do is to get some weird looking portraits, at very close range and see if I could get a nice bokeh. well, It didn't work coz it was too bright and as the Sun went down it started to rain. Any suggestion how should I try it again? Rene'

Rene', you're not going to get great bokeh from a wide angle lens. Though the 14-24

does the best at this by far for a wide angle.

Here is a shot wide open with the 14-24 as an example...

http://ricmarderimagery.com/p32479629/?photo=h31FF5077#838815863

If you want to try for the best case scenario - you really have to pay attention to

what's in the background. Any points of light (night shot) would help. Contrasting

colors will improve the background rendering. Red blossoms against a lush green

grass, the further away the grass the better - and the closer the subject as well.

Gotcha Bruce, processing round two, all three on a different boring test subject. I would image someone shooting indoors with limited light would like the f2.8. I like primes and this is about as close to a prime as I can currently get. I think I saw some CA in another shot but I want to have some fun with this. I like the Sigma also. I had used it once before. I don't have any problems with the 12-24's either accept I want a fast 20mm and 24mm.

Rene' get a Nikkor 85mm f1.4 and blur that background. This wide zoom will be for expanded perspective shots and maybe a funny portrait of my mutt.

I did focus on the hydrant then recompose as I will when really doing something. I like the remapped focus button.