Calculite XP or other low light meter?

I have read that the Calculite XP has a LED readout, but what does that

mean? Does it actually show a number (EV value, f-stop, etc) or rather just a

set of arrows like in an M6?

Also, does it take a reading with the push of a button (like most digital meters),

or does one have to fiddle with the dial like a manual meter.

I am looking for a good low light incidence meter to accompany my M6 - any

other suggestions?

Thanks,

Actually LED means 'light emitting diode', which could be either a blinking light system, or a digital display (the type with the red numerals). The previous poster is thinking of LCD which means 'liquid crystal display'. If I remember correctly the Calculite is a blinking display.

Thge Calculight has both incident and reflective capabilities. You push the button. You get a numerical value LED readout that you transfer to a circular dial, being careful to ensure that you've selected the appropriate symbol on the dial (incident vs. reflective). Once you've set the readout on the dial, you can choose among a variety of f-stops and shutter speeds. The Calculight uses four EPX-76 silver oxide button batteries. It has a good low-level capability.

I'm biased, as I upgraded from a Calculight to a Sekonic 308B flashmeter that also has both incident and reflective capabilities. I use it both with our M4 and as a backup to our M6. It's a one-hand operation. You select the desired shutter speed in advance, point the meter, press the button, and it provides an instant readout of your f-stop to the nearest 1/10. The repeatability is superb.The meter uses one AA alkaline battery for power, and it has an excellent low-light capability. No, it isn't as fancy, or does it have the "bells and whistles" of the more expensive Sekonic and Gossen meters - - but it's a one-hand meter that slips into your shirt or coat pocket and gives you accurate readouts.

I was looking for a small meter recently, and having discarded first thoughts about Cosina VC (about $150 from www.cameraquest.com), found a much, much better one.

Forget about LEDs and such. Gossen Digisix is small, can be consealed in your hand. There is an optional accessory (cheap) to mount it on a flash shoe. While larger than VC, it's not a basic crappy thingy one needs to click-click-click for readings, but a fully-fledged meter.

It measures: incident and reflected ato about 25 (angle) degrees, i.e. like a 90mm lens. Reading - one button click, LCD display. Contrast readings possible (main measurement, then +2, -1 etc. compared to that). Measures to 1/3 of a stop. Provides a clock, alarm, thermometer. If mounted on a shoe, although largish for that, will at one click tell you the measurement of the area you were looking at through the veiwfinder, unlike handheld where you have to estimate how good your aim is.

An excellent meter. Sells at about $110-115

Another thought would be the new Gossen Digisix mentioned previouly on this site. Small (75mmX50mmX20mm), it can be clipped into a hotshoe. It to gives digital readout, scale readout, measures both reflection and incident, but as well has a clock funtion, timer from 1 sec to 30 minutes and tell the temperature!

Digisix measures 0-18 EVs, and the calculator (the ring you see is just a calculator for your convenience) displays 4minutes - 1/2000 second and 1/1 to 1/32 apertures.

When you measure you get something like 8** (meaning 8 and 2/3), then one can rotate the ring to see all possible shutter/aperture combinations for 8 2/3.

Film sensitivities are 6 - 3200 ASA in 1/3 increments

I do not know of any meter that is as sensitive in low light as Calculight XP. It measures from something like EV -6 or -7, much lower than Minolta, Pentax or Sekonic meters. Also very much lower than the Digisix.

Otherwise, I agree that the XP is not a top of the line meter anymore as it starts to show its age.

I bought one of the first-version Calcu-lite meters whenever they first appeared back in the late '70s. That thing survived until the mid-'90s dangling on a belt clip, stuffed into pockets and being sat on etc...so imho although the Calcu-lite doesn't have any features it'll survive some heavy use and abuse.

These days I have a couple of Minolta Flashmeter IVs, a Spotmeter F plus assorted built-in meters, but I recently bought a Calculite XP. Why? It's very small and lightweight, has very good low-light sensitivity, and compared to just about every new meter on the market, is dirt cheap used.

There is, of course, a drawback. The LED readout (EV numbers made by tiny red lights) needs to translated via an old-style calculator dial, which of course isn't illuminated.

• 2 years later...
I agree with ILKKA, the Calculite XP is one of the most sensitive low light meters, if not THE lowest sensitive meter at -7. If your light level that you are shooting is that low, it must be close to total darkness. It is a great meter for very early sunrises & very late sunsets to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...
I've had my XP for about 6 years now. I also use a Weston Euromaster II. The XP is "dead on" for accuracy of "chromes" that I shoot. And you know how unforgiving "chromes" can be if you're not accurate. Anyway, on a scale of 1-10 I would rate the XP a 9, mostly for it's sensitivity(-7 ain't bad). I wish the Westons would go that low!