Setup SB-800/600/22s

chataut

Hi,

I have SB-800/600/22s and I am trying to use them in manual mode by using a

light meter to (Sekonic L-358) to read the output.

My setup:

D70s/on board SB-800(master)

SB-800 in SU-4 mode -------connected via PC chord--------SB22s and

SB-600 in slave mode

So when I fire the on board SB-800 all of them fire - no problem. Now the

question is how do I check the output level of each flash using the light meter

or all flash combined?

- My camera does not have a PC connection (D70s)

- When I connect the light meter to on board SB-800 it only fires that flash and

not the other SB-800/600

- I can meter SB-800 and SB-22s by directly connecting light meter one at a time

but then how do I meter SB-600?

Is there a better way of the setup than what I have at the moment?

Thank you all for your time.

I just realized that if I use the SU-4 mode on the remote SB-800 then there is a delay before SB-600 fires. So I changed the setup to:

SC-17 chord to connect SB-800 as master and then SB-800 connected to SB-22s via sych chord and then SB-600 in remote mode.

I still have one issue how do I meter SB-600? Is there any accessory that will allow me to attach SB-600 to get PC connectivity?

Thanks.

Let me boil all down to what am I trying to achieve - sorry for not explaining it well.

I want SB-800 and SB-600 combined as the key light (one top of another with umbrella) and then I want to use the SB-22s as the background light.

I have D70s, 2 SB-800 (1 burnt glass so I use that as a trigger on D70s), SB-600 and SB-22s. I have SC-17 chord and PC chord.

Please help how can I achieve the setup.

Get Nikon AF Speedlight Flash System book from Magic Mantern Guides, by SImon Stafford, as seems that you may need to get understanding of CLS, iTTL, DTTL, TTL, SU-4, and such...

You have D70S that can act as a commander, and have SB-800 and SB-600 that can act as remotes, all in atomatic exposure in CLS mode. SB-22S is not compatible with CLS system, so cannot operate in the CLS setup.

You could put SB-800 in D70 camera hot shoe, forget about use of camera built-in flash, and connect SB22S to the PC sync socket on the side of SB-800 body via a long PC sync cable, and use SB-600 as remote CLS. The on-camera SB-800 must be a commander, remote SB-600 must be a remote, and SB-22S connected via cable to the SB-800 on camera must be in manual mode and better not contribute as the main flash light, but as side or ambient light.

If you want to use all flashes, including camera built-in, not all compatible with each other, you must use all in Manual modes, and determine exposure manually using a flash meter, or by experimentation. SB-600 will need a cable or an optical or radio trigger.

• 3 months later...

This something I'm dailring with as well. I use Elinchrom Universal Triggers w/ SB-24 and i have an SB-600. The SB-24 has a PC Port on it, the SB-600 does not. What attachment can i use to connect the SB-600 to the trigger via PC Connection? I think this is what the original poster is asking as well.

Thanks