Cannon 30D

doug_sowell

http://www.photo.net/sports/overview

This discussion is based on 35mm format, so don't forget that this is a 'crop' sensor- ie, effectively you can multiply the focal length of your lens by 1.6 for the '35mm equivalent' length. Also search lenses, and find reviews. There are too many lenses out there to just randomly suggest one without considering price range and your specific intended use.

"Give the Sigma 200-500 2.8 a gander. It zooms in pretty well."

LOL Bryan. Besides, this lens isn't available until July and Doug needs a lens now:)

Doug, I would recommend the Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, review here: http://bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/ef_70_300is_review.html

Or, if your feeling rich look at the Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, review here: http://bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/ef_100_400_l_is_review.html

You might also look at "Third-party" lenses - I purchased (on Photo.net) a Vivitar Series-1 100-400 (f4.0-6.3 I think) lens several years ago for EOS mount. I was extremely thrilled when I discovered it worked on my 10D/20D/30D bodies (160mm-640mm equivalent) and has made my hobby more interesting (although I still have a long way to go as a photographer compared to most of you!)

I agree that there are too many lenses out there to just randomly suggest one - when looking at "older lenses" with "Newer Bodies" (that sounds like a George Burns remark!) consider also if re-chipping is possible.

Derek

Really need more info Doug. To make a good recomendation we need to know what type of sports. How far away you'll be. Inside or outside. Day or night. Budget?

You might get away with anything from a $79 50mm F1.8 for indoor basketball, or might need a $6,000 400mm F2.8 or anything in between.

A 70-200 is great for this purpose and one of the most useful all around at sporting events. Canon makes four versions at different prices, and there are a few to fit Canon by third party manufacturers.

Rule of thumb, f2.8 is very helpful in low light, or when higher shutter speeds are needed. IS is also valuable, but it counteracts camera movement, not subject movement, so you still need to keep shutter speeds up if your goal is to stop action.

However, both f2.8 and IS add a lot of cost. And f2.8 makes for a pretty big and heavy lens. Even so, my 70-200/2.8 IS has seen a lot of heavy use at sporting events for the past seven years.

Football sporting events, money is not an issue, just dont want to overspend on something that I dont need. I was looking for one around 1500.00. Would be using it to shoot football games during the day and at night under the lights, also some wildlife on my property. Thanks for the replies, I was told by a co worker to go with the 100-400 one, but there are several of them out there.