how is your XT/350D holding up?

taner

I bought my XT in mid-April 2005 - my first digital camera...

<p>

I think I am a bit over 30,000 clicks at the moment. Going on strong! The moment

I had finished reading the dpreview review of the XT/350D, I knew Canon's had

finally released a 'mature' entry level DSLR.

<p>

Thank you Canon! Now it is time for you to conquer the next frontier: cheap full

frame!

<p>

Cheers!

Mine's doing just fine, I got it in May of 2005 with similar sentiments as yours. I know the shutter count is above 30,000, but I'm not exactly sure because I stopped counting after the second or third rollover. Camera has been to Canon for some repairs, but that was due to camera->pavement impact damage.

Just superceded it with a 40D, giving it the role of beater/backup camera, which means it will probably still get a lot of use, because I'll be using it for stuff I was afraid to do with it when it was my main camera.

Great lightweight camera, although it feels really tiny now if I hold the 40D first!

Mechanically mine is working as it always did. Externally it shows a lot of signs of wear, which I guess is something for others to think about if buying an XSi/450D.

The rubberished texture on the grip has worn away. The surface on the USB flap is worn. The plastic texture on the body has worn to smooth and shiny in the places where I hold it. There are various scratches on the plastic surface, which also tends to attract dust. The biggest annoyance with the plastic is that it tends to file one's fingernails and the detritus then collects on the plastic surface of the camera, turning a black surface to chalky grey. Given the design was aimed so I am told at Japanese women I am wondering what Canon was thinking.

Moreover, it seems to me in the point a shoot market a strong selling point is form factor such a nice stainless steel or chrome skin. Manufacturers in this market seem to be competing on styling as much as anything else. I am wondering why this hasn't penetrated the DSLR market at the entry level. It would seem to me that a nicely styled, metal skinned DSLR would be a winner with the soccer mums and Japanese women. Just look at how many Leicas are sold due to the fondle factor!

David

I probably have gotten some use. My guess is over 30 000 actuations. I probably take 100 shots per week, and have done quite of few overseas trips with it where I have taken thousands. But I don't treat it roughly. When I am not using it, it is always in a well padded bag, so all the cosmetic damage is basically from handholding.

It strikes me the external cosmetics of these cameras are not built to last. In contrast I have a couple of old Pentax film slrs that are now probably looking better than the drebel despite being 30 years old.

Mine is doing great, thanks for asking. Canon "got me" when they introduced the XT, a cheap entry level 8MP DSLR. Eventually, I purchased a second XT, then a BGE3 grip for the first XT, and recently, picked up a third XT body for an IR conversion project.

but...

Canon got me again. I bit the bullet today, and ordered a 40D+28/135 Kit. I've been debating between it and the XSi, and the mag body and 6fps had me leaning towards the 40D, but then I found they are offering an extra $50 rebate ontop of the $200 rebate for current rebel Xt/Xti/Xsi owners who upgrade to a 40D/5D.

I couldnt refuse. My 40D kit should be here June 9th.

Geoff.. I agree with you. I have a Pentax ME manual focus and it is in better shape!

That being said, the rebel is holding up very well mechanically, no real issues as long as I've owned it, and it's been on a few deep backcountry ski trips.

I also got my XT in April 2005. I don't know the shutter count (is there a way to get the camera to divulge it?) but the camera is holding up well. Although the 8-megapixel sensor comes up short by today's standards, I've found it entirely adequate for 11x14 or 12x18 prints. But now that it's three years old and two generations out of date, I have to wonder how much longer it will remain reliable.

The Digital Rebel series was a breakthrough in affordability. The XT's price and performance point finally convinced me to give up film. But that surely must have required shortcuts in design and construction. The camera has always felt flimsy and plasticky in comparison to the Elan II it replaced (and the Elan II is far less substantial than the EOS 650 I had before it). Aside from a the inevitable scuffs on the black plastic exterior, everything is intact. But what is the reasonable expected lifetime of this camera? Given the product cycle for the Digital Rebel series, I can't imagine they designed and built it to last too many years.

Mine is almost one year old. And I just turned over the counter for the first time. I noticed the problem with the rubber grip finish right off the bat. But, since I carry this thing with me everywhere I really don't think it's a problem. Outside of the cosmetics, this has been a real pleasure. I can't say I'm ready for the 40D yet but I am considering new glass.