Military Wedding - Advice needed

While this is by no means my first rodeo (I have 3 years of wedding photography

under my belt) I do however have my first traditional military wedding coming

up. I am aware of all the additional events that will be happening (special

cake cutting, arch of sabers, etc.) but am curious if there are any more

traditional poses or things I should capture (eg. groom with his commanding

officer, etc.)

Thanks!

Which branch? And what unit of that branch? Many idividual units have thier own style/flair/eccentricities. I'd do a little googling to see what questions you should ask of the couple.

It may also make a difference if the service member is officer or enlisted.

Ok, NG still has individual units. Also, what is his MOS (his job) in the Guard? Infranty? Scouts? Artillary? Finance?

All the combat arms units are cocky & think they are the best (and all but 3rd ACR are wrong ;) ). So talking to his unit's public facing officer might help too.

Military people are often a quirky lot. So ask lots of questions about anything specialthey want.

1 example - Cavalry units have The Order of the Spur. Making sure you got a picture of all the grooms spur-buddies & him, if it applied, would be good.

Other units have thier own special groups.

The last time my father did a military wedding with an arch of Sabres, he told them off for holding the sabres the wrong way! Apparently, holding them so the width of the blade is showing is a sign of agression. They should be held flat.

<BR><BR>

When he was asked <I>'where did you learn that?'</I> His reply was <I>'Sandhurst'</I> (UK Military Officers academy). Which gained him extra respect.

<BR><BR>

He had photographed a ceremony at Sandhurst a few months previously and the same thing happened. This time an officer of high rank explained in no uncertain terms what the correct method was.

<BR><BR>

So if you want to assert some authority (or appear to be a smart ass) try that!

Sometimes the best man will crack the bride on the back-side with his sabre when the bride and groom walk through the arch of sabres, find out if he plans to do so and be in position as it can be a humorous shot (and the bride usually doesn't know it's coming, so don't ask her).

The only sword/saber arch details I'm aware of in the US (besides swatting folks?) is that different services may arch the swords/sabers differently, the services with straight blades, the edge is down but curved blade typically arch with the "sharp" edge outward, making a nicer looking arch. No biggy, there may be no one there remotely familiar with extensive sword drill or experienced in handling them.

The Naval Officer's Guide used to point out that in Episcopal Churches, the arch is formed outside, the traditions derived from the Anglicans, that you don't customarily take weapons into a church. I have seen people try to maneuver and sit in tight pews wearing sabers and it's usually rather comical. However the tradition itself is apparently quite old.

To the extent that you can, if they cut the cake with the sword, and no one else is looking out for it, don't let any helpful person return the blade to it's scabbard uncleaned. (Not a tradition so much as cleaning cake and icing out again after everything has dried and stuck together is not an easy task.)

And like rodeos and cowboy hats, if they are wearing their hats, outside or inside, be aware of the potential for shadows under the brims.

"Don't try to put a bouttonniere on anyonyone in uniform including the groom......." Why not?

In the Air Force if the "uniform" is mess dress for the groom, a flower is not going to kill anyone at the wedding. Honest...no security police will swarm the wedding for a lapel flower.

Gerald, you've never been in the military I see. Technically you're "out of uniform" with the bouttonneere. I was an Air Force brat and did my four years as Security Police K-9,....in the Air Force. Granted, it's not likely that anyone will make a big deal out of it on the day but the photos will forever memorialize the transgression.

"AHH, Air Force goes easy adherence to uniform policy....." -Todd

During my years of service the SAC (Strategic Air Command) motto went: "To err is human, to forgive is not SAC policy". True, I never had a beef about the food/accomidations, but then again, as an Air Force brat I attended a high school outside of Tokyo that was converted KameKaze barracks :-)

"I was an Air Force brat and did my four years as Security Police K-9..."

And I volunteered almost four years in the U.S. Navy, along with a bit over 20 years in the U.S. Air Force. Basic rule of thumb: if one is at a social function off-the-base, it is unlikely the Associated Press will cover the wedding and no one will really 'burn up" over a flower. That is not the case for Marines, but they are in the Department of the Navy organization.

The SAC ideal is not longer around.

Unless there is something special - you may not have a sword arch to shoot. The only enlisted people in the military, that I am familiar with, who have swords are the U.S. Marine Corps Staff NCO's. Although, I have shot a Navy Chief Petty Officer wedding where there was an arch of guess what? Cutlasses!