50-1.8 really tight fit

bernie moore

Just got the 50mm 1.8 AF for my D200. It fits on the camera really tight. Might

this in the course of breaking-in abrade the housing enough to make the other

lens (which fit perfectly) become sloppy? I'm wondering if this is normal for

the 50 or something I should return. Regards, Bernie

The lens should be a snug fit, but if it takes some force, you may consider returning the lens. If you have the f1.8D model (made in China,) it could just be a bit off in the manufacturing process. If you have other Nikkor lenses and no problems in mounting them, the 50mm f1.8 lens you have has something wrong with it.

I'm surprised I never noticed how much variation there is in lens mount tightness before, considering how long I've been shooting (decades and decades). I recently bought a 300 f/4 and it seemed to have a lot of rotational play (i.e., roll about the optical axis) in the mount on my D300. So I tried it on my D100, and both of my FM2N's, and my N80. Same thing.

So I then tried my new 70-200 VR and noticed that IT had the same degree of rotational play; I had just never noticed it. I repeated my experiment with my 24-70 f/2.8 and my old 180 f/2.8 with the SAME results on multiple bodies - I don't know why I never noticed this!

But then a few days ago I got a brand new Nikkor 12-24. And it took quite a bit of force (maybe like the 50 f/1.8 of the OP) to mount it and it has little or no play. I'm wondering if I should try loosening it up by repeatedly mounting it and unmounting it on one of my old expendable FM2N's so I don't "stretch" the mount on my D300 with it.

Hmmm... I pumped up the 50 about 50x on another camera body and it yields a little better. Took some practice shots with it and what a sweet lens it is. So is my old D100. I forgot what a great camera it is since I got my D200. After about 9 mos. it fired right up with a fully charged battery. Now the new couple occupy yet another precious horizontal plane on my desk:)

<i>Im not concerned though as it's just a tad tighter than normal and this may play itself out over time.</i>br><br>

Yes, but if it does, which part is changing - the body or the lens? You sure don't want to loosen up the body! That's why I suggested loosening it on an old sacrificial film body.