D50 lens recommendations

catrin_lewis

I am taking a 3 week trip to New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles this year and currently own

the D50 + 18-55mm kit lens.

I am struggling to decide what the best setup would be in order to get the best shots. The subject

of shooting will vary from street action, landscapes, architecture, indoor (museum/bar) etc.

I am looking to purchase a new lens and have been looking at the Tokina 12-24, Nikon 55-200 VR

and Nikon 50 f/1.8. What lens(es) should I look at taking with me, and how many? Do I take the kit

lens and buy one other to go with it or replace it and leave the kit lens at home?

Please help!

you don't mention budget.

If you're happy with the kit lens, just stick with it. If not, you could upgrade to the 18-

70. I'd get a 50mm f1.8 first cause it's so cheap and so great. If the budget was tight

I'd maybe the 55-200 VR next. BUT. If you find that you wish you could go wider

more often than longer, I'd get the 12-24 first. (Look at the Sigma 10-20 too, it's

great, and 10mm is noticeably wider than 12.) I would recommend most people go

with one of those two before the 11-16 that I own (and LOVE) because that one is

more specialized, and most people don't need to sacrifice the zoom range for a fast

f2.8 aperture.

if budget is less of an issue... go with a 16-85 VR! All early reports of that lens are

that it is INCREDIBLE! And if you want to go longer, get the 70-300 VR.

If the range is what you require then I would look for a lens that would add speed for street action and indoor shots. Maybe the Sigma 30mm f1.4 to add to the kit lens or the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 if you want just one lens. For a short tele the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 is hard to beat. The Tokina 12-24 is a very nice wide zoom. I don't care for slow tele zooms and would suggest either a 85mm f1.8 or 180mm f2.8 instead.

I use the 18-200 VR, but I actually like the kit lens that comes with a D50. For travel,

it is light and performs well...

You may want to go wider, and for that I'd suggest you take a look at the Tokina 11-

16mm f/2.8 AT-X. It is fast and sharp. IMHO, this is better than the Nikon 12-24mm

<gasp!> Street price is sub $600.

i'd go with a ultra wide-angle lens over a tele. it makes your pics look more dramatic from a perspective standpoint; the tele just gets you closer. you can get some georgeous sweeping landscape shots in san francisco for sure. the tokina is very nice for that and is sharper than the 18-55 on the long end to boot.

but since you already have the 18-55, you might also want to think about the new tokina 11-16, which is wider, sharper and has a constant 2.8 aperture (as opposed to the 12-24's f/4). i have the 12-24 but if i were buying today i might lust after the 11-16 even more. both have excellent build and IQ.

frequently changing lenses between wide and tele is kind of a hassle, so the 55-200 is really a budget choice. a better one if you have the money is replacing the 18-55 with the 18-200 which would be very convenient in the majority of travel situations. if you can swing that and an 11-16, i'd go with that. you can leave the 18-200 on the camera 90% of the time, and break out the ultrawide when you see, well, an ultrawide-worthy shot, like the golden gate bridge or a cable car with hills in the background.

i'd also pick up a 50/1.8 regardless, it's practically free for what you pay for it new. and its so small and light, you can stuff it in a shirt pocket.

and it may behoove you to get a travel tripod that can fit in a backpack as well.

What have you photographed so far since owning the D50 and 18-55? What focal lengths within that zoom do you use most often (check the EXIF data for that info)?

Have there been many specific types of photos you've missed or not done as well as you'd wanted due to equipment limitations? For example, did you need something wider indoors? Something longer outdoors? Something faster in dim lighting?

Traveling can often inspire us to take photos we'd normally avoid or just not think of. If you'd like to photograph people but aren't comfortable getting close, you might prefer the 55-200 VR. If you're comfortable up close and personal and want a fast lens with shallow DOF, the 50/1.8 is a bargain for available light photography.

I'm comfortable photographing people and public situations so I wouldn't use a telephoto or long zoom for that. I use those lenses only for sports and nature. I like a fast prime like the 50/1.8 for candid photography. But that's me. Only you know your own habits and preferences.

I have the 18-70 DX and find it wide enough for most of what I've done with the D2H. The ultra-wide craze didn't exist when I was coming up and I still don't find many occasions when I really need anything much wider. But between the three you mentioned I'd go for the 12-24/4 Tokina. I tried it in a local shop on my D2H and was very impressed. It's a very good value.