What's wrong with the Nikon 18-70 3.5-4.5G?

dberryhill

Tim and I go back a ways. I've learned to ignore what he says, and instead look at his marvelous photography. BTW, Tim's work has been selected POW a couple of times, and as I recall, the shots were made with the 18-70.

At the very least, you all have reassured me that I haven't been taking pictures for several years with a piece of junk glass, and was just too blissfully ignorant to know it. I've learned more than that, but that is what has been nagging at me, particularly when I've to some festival or other event and seen all the long, fast lenses. I've felt endowment challenged.

i'd like to compare it to wine.

a good (i'd like to emphasise that word) cheap wine tastes nice and gets you drunkled. which is what most people require.

an expensive wine does exactly the same thing, but tastes a little better.

the 18-70 is a very good (but cheap) wine. and i drink a lot of it. no ill effects :)

All I can say is, 18mm at f/13 for landscape. It works wonderfully, at least for me, I doubt that a lens 3 or 4 times expensier could deliver more 50% of quality in final image. Anyway a lot of times you can't tell the difference just with your eye, which is by the way the same that juges your photos. I have several photos taken with this lens here <a href=http://luzesombras.planetaclix.pt>Light&Shadows</a>

I had the 18-70 and the 50mm F1.8. Recently, I replaced my 18-70 with the Tamron 18-50mm F2.8. The newer Tamron is a better lens than the 18-70 but I also had some very nice shots with the 18-70. There's always some newer and nicer things on the market. Go with what you can afford. It's not just the lens that makes nice picture.

It's a good lens, but like all lenses a compromise. Of course not as good as the 50/1.8, but it has a zoom range and the results are not bad. I do prefer to use better lenses when shooting at the long end, though, but I don't hesitate to use the 18-70 when I need AF-S and zoom.

I have the 18-55 DX kit and although it feels like it wouldn't survive a fart, it is very sharp, workably distortion tolerant and fast. I have that lens and the 50 1.8 AF D and it is hard to argue for more, given the setting on the D80 that make both lenses more versitile.