Nikon D200 with Nikkor 18-135

l_w_mcleroy

I'm no pro, which will quickly be obvious, so this question may be related to defective

equipment or a defective operator (i.e. incorrect settings).

Suddenly, my Nikkor 18-135 lens will not focus. There is no motor sound when

pressing the shutter and normally the shutter will not fire. When it does, it is out of

focus. I can switch to manual focus and that works fine. The lens switch (A-M) is in

the A position. The switch on the camera body (C-S-M) is in S but the C position gives

the same result. When I remove the Nikkor and install a Sigma DL Hyperzoom 28-300

it does focus. I have been using all of the equipment mentioned above for mostly travel

photography for over a year. I had one other time that an incorrect setting caused a

problem similar to this buy I can't remember the exact facts and I've tried everything I

can think off including reading the troubleshooting section of the manual. Since the

lenses in question have different electrical characteristics, 8 contacts on the Nikkor and

5 on the Sigma, I know I cannot rule out a problem in the camera body. My questions

are:

1) Is it possible that this is an operator error and, it so, what settings can I check?

2) Is it an equipment defect, and if so, which piece or how can I tell which piece is

defective?

I know we have a lot of very advanced photographers here and I thank you for your

time and any help you can offer.

Bernhardt,

Thanks for that suggestion. That's the problem I had before that I couldn't remember. My Sigma has a lock for the f stop ring but I don't remember the Nikkor having that. In fact, I don't think it has an f stop ring. When using manual or A priority, I use the camera control panel to set f stop. I say I can't remember it having an f-stop ring because with it in the repair shop I can't look at it. I took it to a camera shop and they put a DX lens on my camera and it focused fine. then they put my lens on another Nikon and no focus. I guess everything breaks eventually but I have now had the Sigma and the Nikkor fail in less that 2 years after purchase.