Canon 180 Macro

stillbound

I know it's the L glass of the macro line up but I don't know anyone that owns

one - I just got a sick deal on one from bestbuy.com (assuming they actually

send one - it now says sold out but I have an order number and such) for 209.

Not sure if that was a typo or some other error or if they just couldn't sell

them but I'm pretty excited.

I already have a 100 2.8 and was wondering if like most L glass this is sharper,

contrastier, etc or if it's just built better...

thanks

JC

www.pbase.com/josephwcarey

The 180 is a beautiful lens. My friend rented one and it was pretty awesome. Things came out much more abstract than with the 100/2.8. A good tripod seemed to be important...

Websites these days have a disclaimer that they aren't responsible for typos and such. Just because you have an order number doesn't obligate them to actually sell it. Good luck with that though! I'd really like to know if they do hold up their end.

bestbuy.com pulled the same stunt a few years ago advertising laptops with $100. Of course they never honored the price. The lens is great. Much more contrastier than the 100mm and of course it's built better. My only complaint was that it was slower to autofocus.

You and 1000 other people have ordered this lens hoping BestBuy will fulfill the orders. No chance this will ship. BestBuy.com will not take a $1,000,000 loss. But hey, I noticed this early and am along for the ride. :-)

Can't respond about your order with bestbuy but I would be very surprised if they actually sell it to you at such a low price...

I have the 180mm Macro and it's a fantastic lens. I also have the 100mm/f2.8 and use them both. The 180mm is sharper, IMO, than the 100mm, but the biggest advantage is the 180mm allows me to "back away" a bit from the subject to minimize any impact, i.e. a butterfly on a flower that may fly away if I approach with the 100mm.

The 180mm also requires an adapter for using Canon's ring flash. It's also heavy (as compared to the 100mm) and is a bit more difficult to use hand-held. Otherwise, if you ARE lucky enough to get the lens for such a low price, you will be doubly thrilled when you use it.

Good luck!