canon F1 & FD lenses

ashwin_sheorey

I got my dad's F1 ( Sr. No. 510147) , 35mm / F2 & 200 mm F/4 which has been

unused for the last 18 years My querries are as under:

1) what could be the manufacturing year of the above sr. no. ?

2) The lenses are infected by fungus on the inside. can it be cleaned 100%. If not

can the spots be seen on the film,

3) what battery is to be used?

4) are any manuals available.

5) the mirror does not fall back to its original place & does so only after I load the

next frame. But the shutter seems to work properly. do i need to replace it.

6) what could be the value of the above gear in USD.

thanks & cheers,

Ashwin

well, I'll tell you that I recently sold a F-1N (New) w/ AE finder that was in 9+ condition for around $300 w/o lenses (I still have some lenses btw if you're interested ;) )

Mine took a PX28L battery. Not sure if your's would take the same depending on it's vintage.

you need to figure out if you have the F-1, F-1N or F-1N (New) to get a vague read on carbon dating but I'd venture to say mid 1970's.

I think the serial number is a late F-1n, which is the second version of the mechanical F-1. You can tell the correct date from the code inside the film compartment, but I'd guess 1979 as my ignorant WAG (which would mean a date code beginning with 'T').

The 35/2 and the 200/4 would get $40 to $70 each on your favorite internet auction site if they didn't have fungus. With fungus, you won't be able to give them away. The F-1n would go for maybe $200 in fine condition. With a dodgy mirror, it's a parts/repair camera-- maybe $40 to 100. Sorry the news isn't better-- used Canon FD stuff doesn't go for much anymore, and it's a buyer's market.

Hi Ashwin,

If you're looking to sell the camera and it's in mint cosmetic condition it might pay to have it repaired by a reputable shop. Mint bodies with a documented CLA command a premium on the auction site. I recently had a F-1 CLA'd, the shutter drum replaced and the meter adjusted to 1.5 volt batteries for only $130 with postage.

-Lionel

Hello Ashwin, You didn't say what country you live in so getting your F-1n in

working order (or market shape) may be easy or difficult. If you live in the USA then

the solution is simple. We have some of the finest Canon FD repair people in the

world here in America. I'll try to speak to your questions:

1) The F-1 was made in three versions. The first and second are mechanical and

the third is an electro-mechanical hybrid. You have the second mechanical version

(the only F-1 which serial number starts with a '5'. That second model was made

from approx Nov 76 thru Dec 81. Your camera is referred to here as the F-1n (note

the lower case 'n' as opposed to a capital 'N' to designate the F-1 (New) or electro-

mechanical hybrid.) All Canon FD camera bodies have a date code stamped in the

film cassette chamber to the left once the back door is opened. The code is

stamped on the black painted surface in black paint so it can be difficult to see.

Best way is with a strong directional light shining in the empty film chamber. The

date code for your camera is a letter and either three or four numbers. The year of

manufacture is denoted by the letter: Q = 1976 thru V = 1981. I have two F-1n's;

one made in 1977 (serial 531xxx and one made in 1978 (serial 595xxx). I believe

your's is an early F-1n and made in either 1976 or 1977. BTW, the first two of the

numbers denote a month in the manufacture-year.

2) I've never had a lens with fungus but have read is simply impossible to get out.

Especially now that FD lenses are so cheap, the labor needed to clean and possibly

re-coat lenses would be prohibitive. However, the only way to know if the fungus

affects your pictures is to shoot it.

3) Your F-1n originally came with a 1.35 volt mercury battery which is no longer

available in the US (and maybe the world). There are various methods of getting

around that problem which have been treated exhaustively here on this forum. Do a

search back through older posts for questions about F-1 batteries.

4) Most Canon manuals are available on this site:

http://www.canonfd.com/choose.htm . The sites given in the response above are for

manuals for the the F-1N (NEW) and not for your F-1n.

5) Agree with Ben -- Do not use your camera till it's repaired by a competent shop.

6) Impossible to answer definitively. As is now, the body is not worth much. Get a

CLA and overhaul by a competent repairman and, depending on cosmetic condition,

might be worth $200+. As someone else said, with the fungus problem, the lenses

are almost paperweights.

Only you can decide if you want an excellent manual-focus film camera enough to

pay for qualified repair. But without it neither you or a potential buyer can get

satisfactory service.

Wish you luck, Don B in Hampton Roads

I have had some luck in getting fungus out of Canon FD lenses. If the fungus looks like tiny glass needles it seems easier to get out. No repair facilty will guarantee the result of a cleaning for fungus. All they can guarantee is that they will give it a try. From my experience the older breech lock lenses re more easily put right when they have fungus than the newer New FD ones. The two lenses you mention are not particluarly rare or expensive.

Ashwin,

The 200 F4 is an EXCELLENT lens-- I have many great photos I took with it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with cleaning it, though: for the same money you can

buy 3 in ex condition from KEH. Rather, just try it. You won't see any spots on the

photo from fungus. I recently sold a Leica 135 with lots of fungus, and it took very

sharp photos. (A leica lens may be worth cleaning, though). Probably the same with

the camera body. I recently had my new F-1 serviced at KEH--mirror foam replaced--

and it cost $140. Just buy another used one with a warranty.

Scott