What Was Your Biggest Flub-Up?

niccoury

So I just made a slight error that sets me back a week getting work back to a client.

I have all my general editing done in Lightroom (Nikon RAW files) and went to export everything to

do the final editing in CS3.

I was just browsing some of the work to put it up here on photo.net and saw that the resolution was

at 72, even though the 4x6 negatives were sized at 2400x1600. They were exported at 400 dpi and

when I re-exported them, they opened at 400 dpi.

Realistically, the resolution is something I should have checked all along as I edited in CS3, but

with so much workflow, I neglected it. But all I have to do is re-export, re-edit and re-sample the

final edits in CS3. I can probably do it in a couple hours.

Not that many of you care to remember it, but what were some major fuck-ups you all had in

workflow (to make me feel not as stupid)?

Cheers,

~ nic

p.s. - I just uploaded some new wedding work. Check it out and say hi.

I had a lab eat a roll of Portra 160 VC with most of the one-on-one formals on it. They said there was a power interruption due to a storm and the film went into the developer, power went off for a few seconds, and when it came back on the film was pulled out for the next step. Not very nice.

The DPI setting is meaningless for the most part. As long as the number of pixels are there you have no problem. I have many pictures that are at 72 DPI as they come out of the camera and they print just fine and display just fine.

So I get to the church...started pulling my stuff out - setting up - introducing myself to the bridal party, getting some shots of the guys, etc., etc. Best man comes up panicking wondering where the girls are - I tell them don't worry! They just left her mom's house and are on their way - should be here in less than 5 minutes - bride looks beautiful - blah blah blah. They should be here in plenty of time! 10 minutes later I realize I'm at the wrong church.

I'm pretty sure you could have posted your blunder without cursing.

If you order a 4x6, a 2400x1600 file @72dpi will print the same as 2400x1600 @ 400dpi. Dpi will only matter if you export in inches. A 4x6 @ 72dpi will print differently than a 4x6 at 400dpi.

Wash your mouth out with soap, first :)

Saving your export/printing preferences in resolution is the best. A 8x12 at Fuji Frontier etc is 300dpi, on a inkjet it's 360, and on a agfa d-lab, my favorite, it's 400dpi. Once you've done the math, for all the machines with the few sizes of prints you normally make, it saves a lot time and possible mistakes.

Jim, i would question your labs honesty, i have worked with every major film

processing type of equipment made, and i don't know any that would pull the film out of

the developer the minute the power comes back on. Film machines are all made with

hand cranks so in the event of a power failure, the people can fly over and hand crank

the film through manually. most are made so that if there is a power failure, the power

shuts off and you have to manually turn the machine back on. I guess it could in

theory happen if the power is off for a couple of seconds, but in 15 years of lab work i

never came across that one. i don't want to start any arguments with anyone, but i

would be suspicious that you did not get the entire story.

Tiffany you cracked me up :)

I was once shooting a very niiiice wedding in Manhattan in this small very cute church. The family was from TX, oil money. He even brought his own RR for his baby all the way from TX. Just giving you a picture of the type of wedding this was.

Anyways, right after the ceremony and getting some quick shots of them exiting, i ran to my bag, and put all of my extra eq. in the bag (i have a backpack) except for the camera unit....trying to sneak outside before the B&G do, and forgot to close the zipper. So much for being quite. All my extra lenses, flashes, batteries, other small items came CRASHING down HARD! everyone of course looked and made a personal note :) Embarrassing yes, but i still made out with one of my most beautiful pictures till today.

Everything is not over until a fat lady sings :)

Anton

I'll never tell my professional flubs in an open forum ;)

There were two goofs from my film days- one was my niece's high school graduation and I forgot to bring film. D'oh! The other was in college- a friend on the school newspaper asked me to shoot some photos of his interview with a major band (Live). I ASSUMED that since it was for the paper, he would be bringing the black and white film...nope. I got to meet the band though.

Sam