Pantone-Huey and Windows Vista USB Issue- HELP!

I just calibrated my monitor with the Pantone-Huey (basic model) and I have

noticed that whenever I plug in my USB external drive the monitor goes darker and

stays that way until I unplug it, then it goes back to the calibrated profile. This

has also happened with the EyeOne2 calibrator that I used before (my friend's).

EyeOne tech support was aware of this issue and informed my friend to load the

calibration loader (in his startup menu) everytime he wants to use Lightroom to

process photos. Pantone-Huey does not have this loader available (from what I

know).

Does anyone have the same issues and if so, do you know how I can correct it

with this particular model? I am using Windows Vista Home Premuim with

Pantone-Huey (version 1.0.5), which is the newest version of the software from the

Pantone web site. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

I did Email the Pantone tech support people, but I have yet to ehar back from them.

Thank you in advance.

Roland Young

Many computers these days come with barely adequate power supplies.

Even additional ram consumes quite a bit of additional power. If you have

a barely adequate power supply, it could be affecting your power to the monitor when you plug in yet another power consuming second drive. Not saying this is absolutely the problem, but is worth exploring.

Gerry

Would that be the case if it happens with both an AC powered USB external drive and an USB powered external drive??? Because it is happening with both. My friend just bought a new Dell laptop last week running Vista and he too is having the same issue with his calibrator (EyeOne). Any other thoughts? Thank You.

I am running much the same set up as you are, however I calibrate my monitor

with the usb second drive plugged in and leave it plugged in. I also

am running an additional e-sata hd. You might benefit by plugging in the usb and then calibrating with it already plugged in. Then unplug to see if it changes the calibration on your screen. BTW, are you running everything off the same electrical socket. Might try to plug in power to usb hd on separate wall socket or perhaps even just pull the plug and replug. Lots of factors can affect or limit watt deliverance

Gerry.

I had always thought that before you calibrate your monitor the screen is usually cool in color instead of warm. The calibrator will normally profile your monitor more warmer than the non-calibrated profile. Is this always the case??? Since I calibrated my monitor (and everything was done correctly), I have noticed that the color of my screen is more cool than warm. When I click on the non-calibrated before and after shot the color looks more warmer (though the whites do not look white at all, they look more light yellowish). But when I click on the calibrated after shot it looks much cooler (kind of a hint of blue, but not bluish in color).

In your opinion, was the monitor calibrated correctly based on my explanations of what I currently have above? If not, is there anything else that I can do to correct it?

Thank you in advance!